News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

LB - basic-controversy. Langue_doc, wow, didn't know you could spell barytone with a y.

ciao_yall, that was an act of desperation as I couldn't get baritone because of the SS issue. Turns out that barytone is a grammatical (obscure?) word. I was surprised that it was accepted!

bar·y·tone
/ˈberəˌtōn/
adjective
(in ancient Greek grammar) not having the acute accent on the last syllable.
Definitions from Oxford Languages

ab_grp

Never hurts to try!

I am finally down to one word to QB.  Husband has two left.  Hopefully inspiration will strike.

And, I have a few contenders for LB but no mates yet.

ab_grp

We finally gave up on the bee, each with one word left, and they were different words.  We both eventually figured them out with the first letters.  Whew!

And finally got a 2fer, though I am a little surprised that either word was accepted.  I will take it! 

Parasaurolophus

Still 97 short og GWP. Oof.
I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

Morning!

GwP yesterday then found a few more words then off to other things. Got gonna but not gotta.

LB - dinosaur-reflex or flexed-dinosaur.

Not started yet for today, but happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

It took me a while yesterday to get gotta and gonna, but intonating tripped me up.  I needed help to find that.

Today:  Beta with pangram, and stymied.  My next step is consulting my list of weird Bee words.

LB:  Yesterday I first got islander-reflexious (tried in desperation).  Then I tried for a more normal pair again later and  got dinosaur-reflex.  I have a 2fer today as well.

Happy puzzling!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Genius and pangram.

Another long day, so puzzles have been relegated to the non-essential to-do list.

dinosaur/reflex; couldn't find mates for infixes/d.

Happy solving, all!

ab_grp

Good morning!

I have three words left, husband has two, both of us are shy of Alpha by a couple points.  This is a tough mix of letters! Yesterday gigaton was my final one.

For LB, I got reflexions-salud.  I didn't think it would take either, but fine with me.  Congrats on your other solutions and to cathwen for another 2fer today! I hope I can join you and keep my 2022 streak alive.

Crossword was a little tricky as usual for a Thursday.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

We gave up and got help with our final words, which ended up being the same and not one we were familiar with.  Luckily, husband guessed it.

But I got a 2fer!

Parasaurolophus

I've been doing poorly lately. 24 short of GWP today.
I know it's a genus.

onthefringe

my 2fer yesterday was weird and inefficient: alexandrines-soulful. I like the others and can't believe I missed dinosaur.

No luck today, but I'm enjoying Wordle too!

Langue_doc

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 06, 2022, 05:21:03 PM
I've been doing poorly lately. 24 short of GWP today.

It was a tough one today.

Quote from: onthefringe on January 06, 2022, 06:45:03 PM
my 2fer yesterday was weird and inefficient: alexandrines-soulful. I like the others and can't believe I missed dinosaur.

Weird=original=one of a kind.

QB and a rather depressing two-fer.

Unrelated vent: I spent two hours trying to locate a document that had been swallowed up by One Drive. I had painstakingly edited part of a website for one of my outdoor organizations. I was not looking forward to spending another three hours rereading the entries and then re-editing them.

ciao_yall

Morning!

GwP. Really - numbat, unban?

2fer was townies-superman. Actually uses one letter less than the schmofficial solution so while I was a bit disappointed with it, I have to remember that I gotta believe in myself a little more.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Two pangrams and genius so far. I've run out of words today.

mortuaries/spawn; the latter reminds me of the expression spawn of the devil.

Happy solving, all!

cathwen

Good morning!

Genius with only one of the pangrams this morning. 

Yesterday, I went to hints for the last two words; one was "termite-eating marsupial," so I started typing in combinations and got numbat.  Once again, my paucity of Australian marsupial vocabulary has done me in.  But my last word was unban.  Of all the combinations with un- that are rejected, unban did not occur to me.

LB:  I had warmups-senioritis.  I was a little surprised that senioritis was accepted!  We all (so far) have something different, and all different from the "official" solution. 

We have a good bit of snow today—about 8", I would guess.  I'm putting on sweat pants and a warm, baggy sweater and hunkering down today!

Happy puzzling!