News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Inhale Thread !

Started by mamselle, June 14, 2019, 06:11:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarathonRunner

Won a competitive fellowship and will be starting my dream postdoc with the expert in my field later this year! I'm over the moon!

traductio

Quote from: MarathonRunner on March 03, 2023, 12:42:16 PM
Won a competitive fellowship and will be starting my dream postdoc with the expert in my field later this year! I'm over the moon!

Way to go! That's fantastic!

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: MarathonRunner on March 03, 2023, 12:42:16 PM

Wow! Well done!
I know it's a genus.

MarathonRunner

Dissertation defence scheduled for May 16. Postdoc starting September 5. Even if I don't end up in academia, I'm delighted to have almost fulfilled a dream (getting a PhD) and after the postdoc I'll be in a great place for non-academic jobs if academia doesn't work out. My postdoc supervisor tells me I'm the only one, other than them, doing this particular work in Canada, so clearly my research fills a niche, even if it's been less popular/sexy recently. As a want to stay in Canada, it seems my expertise will be needed when they retire, whether inside or outside of academia.

sinenomine

Just taught my last two classes of the semester. I've had a very challenging student in both of them but we both got through, and it was gratifying to see students reflecting thoughtfully on their learning.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

traductio

Got the proofs to my new book today! Yay, proofs!

apl68

Quote from: traductio on April 24, 2023, 02:16:23 PM
Got the proofs to my new book today! Yay, proofs!

Sounds like a real milestone.  Congratulations!
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

paultuttle

My brother and sister-in-law have just bought their tickets to fly from Bangkok to Raleigh-Durham the week before Memorial Day!

(This is my favorite brother; I've never met his wife in person. They're coming because [a] they've got time off and they want to see Mom before she's no longer able to recognize people. More on that later, but suffice it to say that she's started asking where her husband is while he's sitting in front of her.)

They plan to stay a month!

(I'm nearly as excited as a small child with a free-flowing water hose and a grass-free backyard to experiment on/in.)

Woo hoo!

MarathonRunner

Dissertation defended! I have corrections to make, but in my field it's almost unheard of to have no corrections. Dr incoming (although yes, as is typical, my supervisor congratulated me with Dr Runner!)

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: MarathonRunner on May 16, 2023, 11:54:47 AM
Dissertation defended! I have corrections to make, but in my field it's almost unheard of to have no corrections. Dr incoming (although yes, as is typical, my supervisor congratulated me with Dr Runner!)

Congrats!!!

Puget

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on May 16, 2023, 12:21:32 PM
Quote from: MarathonRunner on May 16, 2023, 11:54:47 AM

Congrats!!!

Yes congrats, Dr. Runner!
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

apl68

If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Larimar

Antiphon1

MarathonRunner

Thank you all! First in my family to go to university, let alone get a grad degree. I couldn't be happier! Only my wedding day was better!