Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Words that could be used more frequently

Started by dismalist, October 02, 2020, 02:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbogumbo

ab_grp

dismalist

And then, of course, we could use the word lachrymator instead of the term tear gas!
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Langue_doc

Vkw10

Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

dismalist

I love all this stuff! I've known all the words, save one, but do not use all that many talking and writing.

The one new word I learned is gurried:

QuoteThanks to Meville, I know that gurried means "covered in fish slime."

Can't wait to use it :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Langue_doc

sinenomine

"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

writingprof

mamselle

Compassion.

Even if it's already been mentioned above.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Cheerful

lillipat

"Lugubrious" reminds me of a dear aunt, whom I didn't know well until I was grown, but my father, her brother, always mentioned with pride what an extensive vocabulary she had.  We were singing together at a workshop on sacred music, and she mentioned that she'd always disliked the lugubrious tune of a particular well-known piece.  And that was when I knew that she and I were indeed related!  I too had always disliked that tune, and I so loved that she termed it "lugubrious," because that's exactly what it was.

"Inchoate," on the other hand, reminds me vividly of my music theory prof, who used the term to discuss early developments of functional harmony.

aside

Coeval. Often a better choice than "contemporary."