News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The McPlant

Started by Cheerful, November 09, 2020, 12:11:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheerful

McDonald's will introduce its new plant based burger next year.  They will call it the "McPlant."

"McPlant?"  I'm not in marketing but I think I could do better.

What do you think of the name?

hmaria1609

Burger King has the plant based Impossible Burger. They started it!

polly_mer

Quote from: Cheerful on November 09, 2020, 12:11:33 PM
McDonald's will introduce its new plant based burger next year.  They will call it the "McPlant."

"McPlant?"  I'm not in marketing but I think I could do better.

What do you think of the name?

I don't care about the name. 

Will it really taste like meat (at least at the same level as the current meat at McDonald's) or will it still be the case of blind taste tests yield the result of "there's something off with this burger"?

Is there really a market for people who want McDonald's food, but somehow want it as plant-based, whether or not it tastes like meat?
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

mythbuster

I didn't like the name iPad when it first came out. We all got used to it. I would have gone with GreenMac or the like.

Is it their proprietary blend? That should be interesting. I tried the Impossible burger and didn't like the raw-ish texture and the iron aspect of the flavor.

This won't make me any more likely to eat at a McDonalds.

OneMoreYear

We rarely eat at McDonald's or the like. But occasionally on a road trip, we'll stop at a fast-food place, so it is nice to have an vegetarian option.  I think the name is silly, but I assume we'll get used to it.
If they had teamed up with Impossible burger instead of Beyond, perhaps it would have been the McPossible.

smallcleanrat

Impossible Burger sounds a lot more fun than McPlant.

Like it could be the title of an adventure story or mystery for children.

fishbrains

The Hamburglar!

For Pete's sake, they already own the name!
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

Kron3007

I had a plant based burger in a McDonalds a while ago (in Canada).  I dont know if it is the same as this one, but it was quite horrible.

Kron3007

Quote from: fishbrains on November 09, 2020, 01:36:37 PM
The Hamburglar!

For Pete's sake, they already own the name!

That would be awesome...

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: hmaria1609 on November 09, 2020, 12:28:13 PM
Burger King has the plant based Impossible Burger. They started it!

Fast food veggie patties have been around a while, but I believe that the recent upsurge in popularity started with A&W's 'beyond burger'.

Quote from: polly_mer on November 09, 2020, 01:01:05 PM

Will it really taste like meat (at least at the same level as the current meat at McDonald's) or will it still be the case of blind taste tests yield the result of "there's something off with this burger"?

I'd say they can actually be pretty similar. But, frankly, a meatish patty is a waste of a veggie patty, which can have an incredible texture (specifically: a very satisfying crunch).

Is there really a market for people who want McDonald's food, but somehow want it as plant-based, whether or not it tastes like meat?

Definitely. Vegetarians eat fast food, too, and there are more of us out there than you might think. When A&W introduced their 'beyond' patties, my partner, who has been a life-long vegetarian, was incredibly excited. In particular, she was excited to finally be able to have a breakfast sandwich. If we're on a road trip, we'll often stop by for one. And, frankly, it's way better than the regular meat version.
I know it's a genus.

fourhats

I thought that Impossible Burger is a brand name, and that Burger King started carrying them and didn't invent the name? I know a number of restaurants near me that serve Impossible Burgers, and they were miffed when BK started having them too, because it messed up their supply chain and they couldn't source them for a while after that.

I liked the name iPad--because it was like using a pad of legal paper. I never figured out why so many didn't see that and thought it sounded like a feminine hygiene product. That never crossed my mind, and I'm female.

jimbogumbo

Quote from: fourhats on November 09, 2020, 03:13:20 PM
I thought that Impossible Burger is a brand name, and that Burger King started carrying them and didn't invent the name? I know a number of restaurants near me that serve Impossible Burgers, and they were miffed when BK started having them too, because it messed up their supply chain and they couldn't source them for a while after that.

You are correct.

Impossibleā„¢ Burger

apl68

I only go to McDonald's on the rare occasions when I'm with somebody else who's looking to go.  When I do go, I stay away from their burgers, which I've never liked.  I normally get chicken nuggets

I would assume that they've taste-tested the new product seven ways from Sunday before announcing a big rollout.  The name's no doubt been tested too.  If reaction to this public announcement is negative enough, they may revisit that before the launch.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

kaysixteen

Why would anyone think this would taste good?   Come to think of it, McD's is the worst fast food joint out there-- virtually nothing they serve tastes good.

Myword