News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What do I do with all these chives? A CSA lament.

Started by scamp, June 19, 2019, 05:36:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scamp

Anyone else have a CSA share and sometimes find themselves perplexed with what to do with certain items? This week, I have literally a kajillion chives, far too many to use as garnish. Anyone have any good recipes that would use, say, a cup of chopped chives? And should I do anything with the bulbs or flowers?

mamselle

Chop them fine to mix in sour cream.

Ditto and put in mashed potatoes.

Broil in a bit of butter and cool, mix with cut tomatoes, cover, let sit In the fridge.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ergative

Mmmmmmm, chives. I would love to have too many chives. My CSA box seems to think I want thirty kajillion carrots. And I don't like carrots even at the best of times.

scamp

Quote from: ergative on June 19, 2019, 07:39:04 AM
Mmmmmmm, chives. I would love to have too many chives. My CSA box seems to think I want thirty kajillion carrots. And I don't like carrots even at the best of times.

At least if one likes carrots, one can eat them plain! Chives would be weird that way!

The season is still early here, so thus far I have mostly received parsnips, greens, and chives. Every week, chives.

dr_codex

Quote from: scamp on June 19, 2019, 07:44:37 AM
Quote from: ergative on June 19, 2019, 07:39:04 AM

At least if one likes carrots, one can eat them plain! Chives would be weird that way!

The season is still early here, so thus far I have mostly received parsnips, greens, and chives. Every week, chives.

Clearly, you have never met my children. They would solve your chive problem in an afternoon.

Can I send them over, maybe with a handful of the Swiss chard that keeps filling up our basket?
back to the books.

wanna_writemore

You could wash, chop, and freeze the chives for use in place of mild onion/scallions after the season's over. I was looking up freezing scallions last night because I got lots - the internet's advice was to double-bag them or freeze them in a clean plastic bottle to avoid scenting everything in your freezer.

Puget

You can make pesto out of almost any combo of fresh herbs. I haven't tried it but I think chive and parsley would work well. The parsley will tame down the chives and you could probably omit all or most of the garlic and let the chives play that role. Drizzled over new roasted potatoes that would be killer. Freeze any left over in ice cube trays for easy portions later. Now I'm hoping I get chives in my CSA this week. . .
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

San Joaquin

Vkw10

Chives in butter or cream cheese are a good sandwich spread, particularly for tea sandwiches. If desired, fill the sandwich with tomato, cucumber, roasted veg, meat, or whatever suits. The spread keeps in refrigerator or freezer. Freeze the spread, then slice to top grilled meat or roasted sweet potatoes. Chives are good in omelets and quiche. Use chives in plain yogurt or sour cream as a dip for chips or crudités. Sneak chives into a casserole, soup, or potato salad.

Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

scamp

Quote from: San Joaquin on June 19, 2019, 10:56:54 AM
Dip flowers in batter and deep fry...

This works for almost anything, I imagine!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I will manage to whittle down my pile of chives, at least until tomorrow, when I likely get more!

Scotia

Quote from: Puget on June 19, 2019, 10:20:25 AM
You can make pesto out of almost any combo of fresh herbs. I haven't tried it but I think chive and parsley would work well. The parsley will tame down the chives and you could probably omit all or most of the garlic and let the chives play that role. Drizzled over new roasted potatoes that would be killer. Freeze any left over in ice cube trays for easy portions later. Now I'm hoping I get chives in my CSA this week. . .

I hadn't thought of trying chive pesto. I am definitely going to try it next week when I am home.

I grow chives and freeze them in ice cubes so they can easily be added to soups in the winter. Then all you need to do is add the ice cube to the soup for an easy garnish. I also sometimes make a leek and potato soup recipe, but substitute a couple of handfuls of chives  for leeks. Or I have a recipe for cheese and onion soup (essentially a thin cheese sauce with the addition of sweated onions) to which I like to add a handful of chives.

eigen

Maybe cebolitas asada?

Not sure how chives would sub for green onions, but they're one of my favorite things to grill. Marinate with olive oil, salt, pepper and grill, then serve with lime.
Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

Trogdor

try making Korean chive pancakes (pajeon) with them. You almost certainly have all the ingredients already.
https://kimchimari.com/korean-chive-pancake-buchujeon-with-chive-flowers/

That should use up quite a lot of chives.
The recipe also works with scallions or garlic scapes (although you might have to juliene the scapes.)

scamp

So many good suggestions! Thanks!

This weeks challenge:

So much lettuce!
What do I do with beet greens?

scamp

Quote from: Trogdor on June 21, 2019, 05:07:56 AM
try making Korean chive pancakes (pajeon) with them. You almost certainly have all the ingredients already.
https://kimchimari.com/korean-chive-pancake-buchujeon-with-chive-flowers/

That should use up quite a lot of chives.
The recipe also works with scallions or garlic scapes (although you might have to juliene the scapes.)

Just took a look - definitely making this! Maybe right now!