News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Where do Republicans go from here?

Started by Sun_Worshiper, February 01, 2021, 07:25:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

writingprof

Quote from: lightning on February 20, 2021, 09:20:58 AM
Dream on. I, too, would like to see Republicans nominate an African-American, but that's never going to happen for the Republican nominee for president.

[. . .]

The presidency, however, dream on. That will never happen, because the presidency is the ultimate symbol of power, and the far right Republican base, who now controls the Republican party, will never accept an African American president.

This post reveals that you fundamentally misunderstand your enemy. The "far-right Republican base" is indeed casually racist. So is the far-left Democratic base, and so are moderates of both parties, independents, and nearly all human beings in the world, past and present. What you fail to recognize is that the Trumpian hatred of globalism, the mainstream media, and the cultural "elite" is far more powerful than the crass, silly, and half-ironic racism to which you allude. Given the right field of primary opponents, a black candidate could absolutely speak the language of Trump and emerge with the nomination. I can practically hear the unreconstructed segment of the conservative electorate justifying their choice: "I don't like that [racial slur], but I'm voting for her."

I say all this as a lifelong conservative, Republican, and Southerner who has spent his life around racists (and "racists").

mahagonny

Quote from: mahagonny on February 20, 2021, 08:53:52 AM
I hope in 2024 the republicans run a black man or woman. There is energy out there. Of course the democrats can call him or her an Uncle Tom, but arguing against that starts with the powerful sight of a free black person with conservative ideas. So then debate between a black conservative and the democrat would be more compelling. The democrats would then have to say the party of racism is led by a black. And that would ultimately make it harder for the democratic establishment to corral large numbers of black votes through the victimization narrative and bunch of silly government 'remedies.'

Dream on. I, too, would like to see Republicans nominate an African-American, but that's never going to happen for the Republican nominee for president.

The stunt that you describe is already done on the local level and regional level, in places where a Republican has little chance of winning under any circumstance. Kim Klacik is one good example. Republicans had NO CHANCE of winning the Maryland congressional district that includes Baltimore. So, Kim Klacik ran a campaign as an African-American woman representing the Republican party. Even though she had NO CHANCE of winning her congressional district, it gave Republicans everywhere exactly what you describe. She was paraded at the convention and given a spotlight by the RNC, as proof that Republicans are not racist. Although she had no relevance in the congressional election where she ran, she was used as a tool to woo African-American votes for the contests outside of her congressional district, in larger national contests like the presidency and more competitive congressional districts in other states. Even more importantly, she was a comforting symbol to white Republican voters, as she could be used as proof that Republicans are not racist, and that casting a vote for a Republican was not part of a referendum on race.

Smart move, if you ask me.

The presidency, however, dream on. That will never happen, because the presidency is the ultimate symbol of power, and the far right Republican base, who now controls the Republican party, will never accept an African American president.

That's just the thing though. It wouldn't be a stunt. It would just an American who happens to be black promoting the values that have made their life a success and a good reason to live in this country. A natural process of assimilation and  focussing on your life, your goals, your options, your work and not your racial identity or your perceived enemies. Or you could think of it as a translation. A white person says the same things and they're racist John McCain, Mitt Romney, et al. The fact that it's seen as stunt would show that the the person who thinks that wants the blacks to stay in their place. The democratic party's plantation.

Sun_Worshiper

Correct take. Conservatives in this thread are living on Mars if they think Republican primary voters will nominate an AA.

Quote from: writingprof on February 20, 2021, 09:52:53 AM
The "far-right Republican base" is indeed casually racist. So is the far-left Democratic base, and so are moderates of both parties, independents, and nearly all human beings in the world, past and present.

Republicans and conservatives must acknowledge the problem if they want to actually deal with it. Instead we get these lame efforts to brush aside rampant racism in the base and in the party.

mahagonny

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on February 20, 2021, 12:32:18 PM

Correct take. Conservatives in this thread are living on Mars if they think Republican primary voters will nominate an AA.

The "far-right Republican base" is indeed casually racist. So is the far-left Democratic base, and so are moderates of both parties, independents, and nearly all human beings in the world, past and present.

Republicans and conservatives must acknowledge the problem if they want to actually deal with it. Instead we get these lame efforts to brush aside rampant racism in the base and in the party.

This is what the party thinks who believes that candidate Hillary Clinton, a feminist, in 2016 was striking a huge blow for women's rights whereas Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, a chemist, in 1979, was meaningless. Just because we haven't yet had a woman president doesn't mean we couldn't have.
3, 2, 1...'incoherent.'

dismalist

QuoteInstead we get these lame efforts to brush aside rampant racism in the base and in the party.

And Russia.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

writingprof

Quote from: dismalist on February 20, 2021, 01:57:45 PM
QuoteInstead we get these lame efforts to brush aside rampant racism in the base and in the party.

And Russia.

LOL.

Sun_Worshiper

And Russia.

Pretty sad that this is the best response that our conservative posters can muster.

writingprof

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on February 20, 2021, 04:16:44 PM

And Russia.

Pretty sad that this is the best response that our conservative posters can muster.

I made my actual argument at the top of page five and know with total certainty that I'm right. If the rest of you disagree, I'm happy to make grim jokes while you live and die in ignorance. That is very close to the essence of conservatism.

lightning

[. . .]

This post reveals that you fundamentally misunderstand your enemy. The "far-right Republican base" is indeed casually racist. So is the far-left Democratic base, and so are moderates of both parties, independents, and nearly all human beings in the world, past and present. What you fail to recognize is that the Trumpian hatred of globalism, the mainstream media, and the cultural "elite" is far more powerful than the crass, silly, and half-ironic racism to which you allude. Given the right field of primary opponents, a black candidate could absolutely speak the language of Trump and emerge with the nomination. I can practically hear the unreconstructed segment of the conservative electorate justifying their choice: "I don't like that [racial slur], but I'm voting for her."

I say all this as a lifelong conservative, Republican, and Southerner who has spent his life around racists (and "racists").

No s**t racists are everywhere, but only one party's presidential candidate made it central to their election/re-election platform.

As for the Trump voters' hatred of the mainstream media, you can't use that boogeyman argument anymore. Media has been fragmented since the rise of social media, and the Trump voters have chosen their own media, and vilified anyone that doesn't agree with them. In this case, the "mainstream" media.

Trump voter's hatred of globalism? The democratic supported unions were against globalism. It was the Corporate (Capitalist) enterprise backed by Republicans that drove globalism down our throats. Yes, Democrats went along. But ironically, it was the Republican base that couldn't handle globalism, and were left behind in the dust.

As for cultural "elite," Trump voters hate you.

lightning

Quote from: mahagonny on February 20, 2021, 12:22:17 PM
Quote from: mahagonny on February 20, 2021, 08:53:52 AM
I hope in 2024 the republicans run a black man or woman. There is energy out there. Of course the democrats can call him or her an Uncle Tom, but arguing against that starts with the powerful sight of a free black person with conservative ideas. So then debate between a black conservative and the democrat would be more compelling. The democrats would then have to say the party of racism is led by a black. And that would ultimately make it harder for the democratic establishment to corral large numbers of black votes through the victimization narrative and bunch of silly government 'remedies.'

The stunt that you describe is already done on the local level and regional level, in places where a Republican has little chance of winning under any circumstance. Kim Klacik is one good example. Republicans had NO CHANCE of winning the Maryland congressional district that includes Baltimore. So, Kim Klacik ran a campaign as an African-American woman representing the Republican party. Even though she had NO CHANCE of winning her congressional district, it gave Republicans everywhere exactly what you describe. She was paraded at the convention and given a spotlight by the RNC, as proof that Republicans are not racist. Although she had no relevance in the congressional election where she ran, she was used as a tool to woo African-American votes for the contests outside of her congressional district, in larger national contests like the presidency and more competitive congressional districts in other states. Even more importantly, she was a comforting symbol to white Republican voters, as she could be used as proof that Republicans are not racist, and that casting a vote for a Republican was not part of a referendum on race.

Smart move, if you ask me.

That's just the thing though. It wouldn't be a stunt. It would just an American who happens to be black promoting the values that have made their life a success and a good reason to live in this country. A natural process of assimilation and  focussing on your life, your goals, your options, your work and not your racial identity or your perceived enemies. Or you could think of it as a translation. A white person says the same things and they're racist John McCain, Mitt Romney, et al. The fact that it's seen as stunt would show that the the person who thinks that wants the blacks to stay in their place. The democratic party's plantation.

Unlike, you, Kim Klacik's district saw right through her.

Mission accomplished though, for the Republican party. It was good optics for the Republican party, even though it was a doomed effort. It was also good for you. The fact that you got an opportunity to say that I think that "the blacks to stay in their place" allows you a temporary mini-soapbox in your mind, and a mini-victory (in your mind) amidst the deluge of losses.

The Kim Klacik maneuver directly answers the original post. This is where the Republican party should go, in terms of tactics.

lightning

Quote from: writingprof on February 20, 2021, 05:47:50 PM
Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on February 20, 2021, 04:16:44 PM

And Russia.

I made my actual argument at the top of page five and know with total certainty that I'm right. If the rest of you disagree, I'm happy to make grim jokes while you live and die in ignorance. That is very close to the essence of conservatism.

You're wrong. An African American can certainly adopt the language of the far-right Trump base, but they will never be nominated.

You will only be right, if an African American is nominated by the Republican party for president. Check in with me in four years, if you dare.

My life is great, and there is nothing that any politician or supporter of a politician can do to majorly screw up my life. THAT is even closer to the essence of conservatism. So take your shots.

I'm a former Republican and a former southerner, but I'm still around racists (at least I'm around racists that don't wear it on their sleeve and might even feel ashamed of being racist--unlike in the South where they don't even know that they are racist or worse, fly the Stars and Bars proudly across the street from my house)

mahagonny

Quote from: lightning on February 21, 2021, 11:37:24 AM

No s**t racists are everywhere, but only one party's presidential candidate made it central to their election/re-election platform.

That would be the democratic party that maintains that all demographics end up with equal academic success and wealth or else someone is racist. Unless Asian Americans end up with more success. in that case disregard.

QuoteYou will only be right, if an African American is nominated by the Republican party for president. Check in with me in four years, if you dare.

It doesn't have to happen in four years to prove that it could happen in four years or could have already happened had other factors aligned. Who emerges from the pack is a matter of showmanship, luck, connection with the voters. Arbitray fiixation on race is a stupid liberal obsession. Yours to enjoy.

QuoteMy life is great, and there is nothing that any politician or supporter of a politician can do to majorly screw up my life. THAT is even closer to the essence of conservatism. So take your shots.

That's what makes liberal academia an utterly stunning hypocrisy, since they love people getting vastly different amounts of pay for the same work, and a raft of dead end, low pay temp jobs to subsidize the good ones. And yet see themselves as keenly sensitive to issues of pay inequity everywhere else.

lightning

Quote from: mahagonny on February 18, 2021, 02:39:33 PM
Sure the optics are bad, and Ted would be exactly the person to not think of that. But is it really different from taking a bath then sleeping in your own bed with your cat when there are the homeless?

Ted also gets to take a bath and sleep in his own bed, too (maybe not with his cat), so it's a wash. Your tired technique of mitigation through false equivalency argument fails here once again, although it works as a distraction (read on).

The optics for Republicans are particularly bad because Cruz's fallen Democratic senatorial opponent marshaled phone volunteers to check on the elderly in Texas (I've heard something between 300k - 700k phone calls were made) during the crisis and Ted's arch-rival on twitter, AOC, raised $4 million for support of relief efforts in Texas.

I think Ted took a picture of himself loading bottled water into a car or something.

Republicans are going along with Democrats and are beating up on Cruz, probably to distract from the worst PR nightmare for Texan Republicans, Democrats Beto and AOC doing more for Texans in their time of need than the Republican that they elected.

For Ted's political future, he will need to ensconce himself further with MAGA, to remain politically viable. And he will even let Trump call his wife ugly, again.

mahagonny

Quote from: lightning on February 21, 2021, 07:57:29 PM
Quote from: mahagonny on February 18, 2021, 02:39:33 PM
Sure the optics are bad, and Ted would be exactly the person to not think of that. But is it really different from taking a bath then sleeping in your own bed with your cat when there are the homeless?

Ted also gets to take a bath and sleep in his own bed, too (maybe not with his cat), so it's a wash. Your tired technique of mitigation through false equivalency argument fails here once again, although it works as a distraction (read on).

The optics for Republicans are particularly bad because Cruz's fallen Democratic senatorial opponent marshaled phone volunteers to check on the elderly in Texas (I've heard something between 300k - 700k phone calls were made) during the crisis and Ted's arch-rival on twitter, AOC, raised $4 million for support of relief efforts in Texas.

I think Ted took a picture of himself loading bottled water into a car or something.

Republicans are going along with Democrats and are beating up on Cruz, probably to distract from the worst PR nightmare for Texan Republicans, Democrats Beto and AOC doing more for Texans in their time of need than the Republican that they elected.

For Ted's political future, he will need to ensconce himself further with MAGA, to remain politically viable. And he will even let Trump call his wife ugly, again.

Look upthread. I posted an answer to my question that I had found by googling around. I was just asking.

lightning

Quote from: mahagonny on February 21, 2021, 07:11:48 PM

That would be the democratic party that maintains that all demographics end up with equal academic success and wealth or else someone is racist. Unless Asian Americans end up with more success. in that case disregard.
Wrong. That would be the Republican party.

You will only be right, if an African American is nominated by the Republican party for president. Check in with me in four years, if you dare.

It doesn't have to happen in four years to prove that it could happen in four years or could have already happened had other factors aligned. Who emerges from the pack is a matter of showmanship, luck, connection with the voters. Arbitray fiixation on race is a stupid liberal obsession. Yours to enjoy.

OK, check in with me in eight years, if you dare. Race is YOUR fixation. YOU are the one that brought up race with the African-American Republican presidential nominee.

My life is great, and there is nothing that any politician or supporter of a politician can do to majorly screw up my life. THAT is even closer to the essence of conservatism. So take your shots.

That's what makes liberal academia an utterly stunning hypocrisy, since they love people getting vastly different amounts of pay for the same work, and a raft of dead end, low pay temp jobs to subsidize the good ones. And yet see themselves as keenly sensitive to issues of pay inequity everywhere else.

What? Because I weather-proofed myself against the storm of Conservative dismantling and erosion of the academy? I'm the enemy and the hypocrite? The Republicans are the ones that gutted higher ed and left scraps for all of us to fight over. The Liberals that you loathe that hold the positions that you don't have, are just the survivors. We don't love this system any more than you do, and at least at my university, we've always been working to achieve faculty equity.