CA School Decides White Students Shouldn't Get Emotional Support

Started by mahagonny, May 07, 2021, 06:36:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahagonny

I would speculate that in our polarized world and the proliferation of knee-jerk reactions, by now habitual, the idea of a support group for white students in the wake of the Chauvin trial sounds to some like 'a support group for people who think Chauvin got a bad deal and we need to keep blacks in their place.' I would be sympathetic if that were true. But there's no reason to think it is.

The George Floyd-Derek Chauvin encounter may well turn out to be one of the biggest stories of the decade. Think of it, one man lost his life, most likely, but not certainly through police misconduct.  The jury believed it, and that's how history is made. As a direct result of the verdict and the fact that the suspect was black and most of the police on the scene were white, an antiracist mantra has taken hold in public schools, private schools, post secondary ed, corporations, pro sports, Hollywood. People write against it, but the number of them is minuscule compared to the number who are afraid to speak. This has been an experience of huge impact, and people have worked hard to influence the political effect of that experience, and most of the ones who have power are politically left journalists. It was one factor that brought Donald Trump down. That is an absolutely huge impact for one incident. And my question is  who among the affected are innocent and overwhelmed?

I'm thinking of the white high school student in this school. As a result of the incident, he/she/they will become the focus of scrutiny. Their speech, thoughts, attitudes, body language, eye contact are all now fair game an investigation and an overhaul. 'Training' which really means...there is something inside you that is rotten and it needs to be exorcized.

I've never seen anything like this.

Not only was the whites only support group canceled, it is now being discussed as though the very act of entertaining the idea is incalculably offensive. Apologies now are too late and too little. 'It's just another teachable moment for the legacy of oppression.'

I think they're entitled to a support group, but since that idea is deemed offensive by the school committee, I expect they will form one of their own, with the result that, instead of talking with school officials they'll be talking about them.

I'm still trying to figure out how a perceived culture of police malpractice implicates everyone belonging to the majority (possessors of white skin). Because they are, by birth, members of the racial majority? Are we really that stupid?