News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Movie Thread

Started by overthejordan, May 17, 2019, 11:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bioteacher

She just turned fifteen, has a purple stripe in her hair, and is still adorable on days the teenage drama doesn't overshadow it.

I affirm your choice to go see a movie by yourself. I regularly do it for shows my family doesn't have an interest in and find I enjoy them quite a bit. It's Blocky's loss.

mamselle

So, connoisseurs of all things movie....

If I were only to go see one film in the next 6 months (my average)....

......which one should it be?

(And why, if you wish--or not)

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Hegemony

Just saw Rocketman tonight — under some duress — and I sure didn't expect to come out of it singing its praises!  I thought it was inventive, witty, catchy, and very well done.  Enjoyable even to someone who is not a big Elton John fan.  It has some of the zany inventiveness of Ken Russell back in the day, but in a more heartwarming and congenial way.  What a lot of fun.

clean

Lots of choices on the horizon!  Next weekend (6/9/19) will open Shaft, Men In Black, and The Dead dont Die!
There are still plenty of other shows that I have not yet seen, but would like to, including Rocketman, The Secret Lives of Pets, and The Biggest Little Farm.

What shows are you looking to see this week?  What about this weekend?  This summer?
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

sprout

Saw Booksmart Friday night.  It was delightful.  Very much an idealized Hollywood version of high school, but the characters and their relationships were sweet and well-done and great fun to watch.

chemigal

We finally saw Avengers Endgame yesterday.  I was not impressed and I LOVE terrible action movies.  I found it boring and it focused on the wrong parts of the story line.  Chem-husband fell asleep twice and had to be elbowed awake (he snores).  Looking forward to the new MIB.

polly_mer

Quote from: chemigal on June 10, 2019, 04:54:56 AM
Looking forward to the new MIB.

Oooh, the new MIB.  Yes, I'm looking forward to that, too.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

mamselle

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

polly_mer

Quote from: mamselle on June 10, 2019, 06:33:29 AM
Mission in Burma?

M.

I'd go watch that, too, but this MIB is Men in Black.

clean

Tomorrow has a preview of The Dead Dont Die.  I have tickets!!

Wednesday has a preview of Men In Black!  I have tickets for that too!!

Im looking forward to seeing both of those before the weekend opening!

I am going to be gone this weekend to see my parents,  so this is a great chance to see it before everyone else gets to see it and tell me about how good or bad these shows are!!

If there are extended scenes, Ill let you know.

clean

I have returned from The Dead Dont Die.

I will say that it was 'campy' 

There are NO extended scenes
It isnt a horror movie. It isnt exactly a comedy.  From some of the laughs, there were a lot of 'inside' or topical jokes.  I enjoyed it, though.

I dont know if what follows qualifies as a 'spoiler' or not, so I moved it down some. 

It was an interesting film that knew it was a movie, so some of the dialog was about the movie.

polly_mer

Thanks for the report, Clean.  I'm good with campy horror.  If The Dead Don't Die comes here, perhaps I'll go see it.  We're isolated enough that we tend to not get all the first-run movies.

backatit

Quote from: sprout on June 09, 2019, 12:36:20 PM
Saw Booksmart Friday night.  It was delightful.  Very much an idealized Hollywood version of high school, but the characters and their relationships were sweet and well-done and great fun to watch.

We just saw this as well, and loved it.

I'm a huge fan of all things John Wick as well, so will see that one before our BIG movie this weekend (tis' summer, after all)...

The Dead Don't Die. I'm looking forward to it. I was a HUGE fan of Zombieland, and hope I don't get my hopes up too much. There is an excellent Australian show - Glitch which is worth seeing if you're a fan.

Also my favorite UK zombie movie of all times (although I love Shaun of the Dead of course)

Cockneys Versus Zombies

My other favorite movie although it's not Zombie specific (it's about aliens) is Attack the Block. If you haven't seen it, and don't mind a bit of gore, I highly recommend renting it on Amazon.

mamselle

Anything with just-plain human beings up lately?

M.
(Who hid under the theatre seat at the original showing of 《The Wizard of Oz》 when the green globe with the witch's face appeared hovering over the screen, at age 6 or so...)

backatit

Quote from: mamselle on June 12, 2019, 08:44:37 AM
Anything with just-plain human beings up lately?

M.
(Who hid under the theatre seat at the original showing of 《The Wizard of Oz》 when the green globe with the witch's face appeared hovering over the screen, at age 6 or so...)

LOL, I figured you'd like Attack the Block since it's set in Tower Hamlets in London. But Booksmart is about people :D. Attack the Block has Jodie Whitaker in it (the new Doctor) and John Boyega from the new Star Wars franchise in it.

Speaking of shows and movies, is anyone else as hooked on  Jemaine Clement and Taika Waititi's work as I am? I was obsessed with What we do in the Shadows the movie, and am enjoying the series more than I expected to (it doesn't hurt that it has Matt Berry from the IT crowd in it...which is how I found Attack the Block, btw, as it's by