News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Need for PSAs?

Started by marshwiggle, November 24, 2021, 07:31:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marshwiggle

On the old RMP forums, there were certain recurring topics. One in particular was about "prof crushes"; every few weeks or months some starstruck student would post about being attracted to their prof, etc.
Eventually there was a *PSA created for that topic, which was reposted every few weeks, containing the gist of the arguments that came up each time. Because it was a PSA, people could be pointed to it, and the tone of the PSA was more measured than some of the responses to the annoyingly predictable posts.

Would something like that be useful here? Some common topics might include:

• I'm thinking of doing a PhD. Should I?
  • I'm thinking of taking a job at <type of institution> even though my goal is <other type of institution>.
  • Should I write a book based on my research topic?

(This was particularly inspired by a discussion on another thread, which has gone from the original OP's question to the tone in which advice ought to be given, whether or not it seems to be heeded.)

*Public Service Announcement
It takes so little to be above average.

mamselle

Isn't that what the "sticky threads" are set up to do?

Maybe they need more prominence, though...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Ruralguy

The reason why this never works is because everyone thinks their situation is different and deserves tailored advice.

mamselle

True.

Maybe we could make an effort to redirect first, and let them come back to their thread with the exceptions and differentials after that...

Like, say, "That comes up a lot. Have you read...《LINK》already?

Does that shed any light on your situation?

Or is it still different, somehow?"

And then see where that goes...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: mamselle on November 24, 2021, 07:34:01 AM

M.

Yeah, that was the idea. Polly put quite a bit of work into re-creating those threads when this board was in its infancy.

But, now that I've gotten around to looking at it... they're not actually stickied. So that doesn't help! (I thought I remembered them being so, or being collected in a thread somewhere, but maybe I'm misremembering the early days of the new Fora?)

I'll comb through over the next while and sticky at least a few. I'll check back in next week, and if you guys see other things that should be stickied, I can do it. (We don't want to have too many in each sub-forum, but some definitely > none.)
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on November 24, 2021, 03:22:54 PM
Quote from: mamselle on November 24, 2021, 07:34:01 AM

M.

Yeah, that was the idea. Polly put quite a bit of work into re-creating those threads when this board was in its infancy.

But, now that I've gotten around to looking at it... they're not actually stickied. So that doesn't help! (I thought I remembered them being so, or being collected in a thread somewhere, but maybe I'm misremembering the early days of the new Fora?)

I'll comb through over the next while and sticky at least a few. I'll check back in next week, and if you guys see other things that should be stickied, I can do it. (We don't want to have too many in each sub-forum, but some definitely > none.)

Well, I've stickied what seemed appropriate. Let me know if there are threads I missed which you think ought to be stickied.

As you guys suggested, it'll be more useful over the longer term to have a single sticky FAQ thread for each sub-forum. But that's a longer-term job, and for another time.
I know it's a genus.

Caracal

Quote from: Ruralguy on November 24, 2021, 08:27:14 AM
The reason why this never works is because everyone thinks their situation is different and deserves tailored advice.

I'm sort of sympathetic to that perspective. For all of the examples, the answer really depends on discipline, individual circumstances, and personal makeup. I'm really not a fan of the "you shouldn't go to grad school" genre. It strikes me as presumptuous to tell people what they should do as if I've arrived at some universal correct answer. Of course, sometimes the questions people ask betray a lack of understanding about the decisions they are making and its fair to address that. I've also seen a lot of answers that also display a real lack of knowledge as well...

marshwiggle

Quote from: Caracal on November 26, 2021, 07:23:28 AM
Quote from: Ruralguy on November 24, 2021, 08:27:14 AM

I'm sort of sympathetic to that perspective. For all of the examples, the answer really depends on discipline, individual circumstances, and personal makeup. I'm really not a fan of the "you shouldn't go to grad school" genre. It strikes me as presumptuous to tell people what they should do as if I've arrived at some universal correct answer. Of course, sometimes the questions people ask betray a lack of understanding about the decisions they are making and its fair to address that. I've also seen a lot of answers that also display a real lack of knowledge as well...

This illustrates the point. Every time this issue comes up, the same points get made. Summarizing those points once could lead to:

Here are some guidelines for when grad school  makes sense:

• It is totally funded. (i.e. You don't have to go into debt for it.)
  • It's in a field with good graduation job prospects. (Could include a list here....)
  • You're at a stage of life where you can afford the time. (Examples)

Here are some guidelines for when grad school doesn't sense:

• It is totally unfunded. (i.e. You have to go into debt for it.)
  • It's in a field with poor graduation job prospects. (Could include a list here....)
  • You're at a stage of life where you can't afford the time. (Examples such as sole breadwinner, kids in school, etc.)

This doesn't preclude someone saying "But my situation is different!!!", but it does make it easier for people to point out why it's not. (And potentially allows the PSA to be revised if it brings up some good points.)

mleok

Think of the PSAs like a syllabus, they don't necessarily cover every possible situation, but they do address the common ones. The reality is that the vast majority of questions will be covered in a well-written PSA.

artalot

QuoteYou're at a stage of life where you can't afford the time. (Examples such as sole breadwinner, kids in school, etc.)

I'd nix the life stage element. That is so particular - based on how supportive a partner is, funds, etc. It seems to suggest that you must go to graduate school full time, when that's not true in all fields and is increasingly changing. Plus, it's dangerously close to saying that people shouldn't have children while in grad school, which has been used to dismiss and disparage women students in particular.

marshwiggle

Quote from: artalot on December 03, 2021, 07:14:44 AM
QuoteYou're at a stage of life where you can't afford the time. (Examples such as sole breadwinner, kids in school, etc.)

I'd nix the life stage element. That is so particular - based on how supportive a partner is, funds, etc. It seems to suggest that you must go to graduate school full time, when that's not true in all fields and is increasingly changing. Plus, it's dangerously close to saying that people shouldn't have children while in grad school, which has been used to dismiss and disparage women students in particular.

That indicates that a PSA for that probably should have a section on "part time vs. full time". The value in a PSA is to have anything where there's broad consensus included so the most common questions have summarized answers, like an FAQ.