News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

History of Math online interactive exhibit

Started by jimbogumbo, November 28, 2021, 02:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbogumbo

This site has some really interesting stuff. Almost all understandable by pretty much anyone.

https://www.history-of-mathematics.org

evil_physics_witchcraft

mamselle

I've been transcribing early photos of old gravestones for the past hour.

I misread the "a" in your third word for an "e," and was trying to figure out how that would work, exactly....

;--}

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

nebo113

I also posted this link, in thread about online exhibits.  Great minds think alike!

mamselle

Related to the actual topic of the post: A math professor at Columbia University in the 1940s-50s-60s collected early examples of numeracy of different kinds. He donated them to the Columbia University archives.

I ran into this because one of the groups of medieval manuscripts I work on included pages from his collection, showing how 15th c. accounts for a cathedral's canons were kept in roman numerals rather than Arabic ones, because the texts were all in Latin, so they kept the numbers consistent with that.

So I called for them and got to look through them. He had a number of anomalous things like that, very interesting.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.