News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Transitioned students

Started by mahagonny, September 10, 2022, 04:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahagonny

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on September 10, 2022, 06:05:37 PM
There is no reason to make an announcement or preemptive apology or introductions. Just teach the class and call on the student by whatever name is in the class roster (if they want you to call them something different then they'll let you know).

Wonder what the dean or chair would say.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: mahagonny on September 10, 2022, 06:44:30 PM
There is no reason to make an announcement or preemptive apology or introductions. Just teach the class and call on the student by whatever name is in the class roster (if they want you to call them something different then they'll let you know).

Mine would not care or have anything to say. Why is it their concern? If anything, they would wonder why you are involving yourself students' personal lives. You are the professor and your job is to teach the class.

mahagonny

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on September 10, 2022, 06:53:15 PM
Quote from: mahagonny on September 10, 2022, 06:44:30 PM

Mine would not care or have anything to say. Why is it their concern? If anything, they would wonder why you are involving yourself students' personal lives. You are the professor and your job is to teach the class.

that was my initial take, but...

It can be their concern because it gives them a chance to see that adjunct faculty are observing students and caring about them over a period of semesters, despite the extremely temporary nature of the employment.

From my perspective chairs can be quite different from each other. One decided to invite adjuncts faculty to all regular faculty meetings. Another never sent a single group communication to us during her three year term. It feels very different.

marshwiggle: it was no big deal because my colleague knew me and trusted me as a friend. I merely suggested a preemptive apology for using the previous name by accident; the student(s) might not have had that relationship with mahaggony. That can be a much bigger deal than a remark such as mine, especially if coming from a professor with an agenda.

I think I see what you mean here. 'Having an agenda' would be, for example, believing that a man really cannot change himself into a woman. But as think I posted, one should is probably able to separate their beliefs about something like that from what the job asked them to do.

mahagonny

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: mahagonny on September 11, 2022, 04:46:05 AM
error, sorry

Stay out of it, Mahag, for your own good and theirs.  Let students live their lives.  You teach. 
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

mahagonny

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on September 11, 2022, 10:25:41 AM
Quote from: mahagonny on September 11, 2022, 04:46:05 AM
error, sorry

Stay out of it, Mahag, for your own good and theirs.  Let students live their lives.  You teach.

Yes, you've read my sentiment correctly. I wanted to disrupt their lives, but fortunately, I checked in here first, so I won't.

It did cross my mind that by my announcing my non-binary gender status, I might be be thought of as an approachable  friend. Not a buddy, because we are teacher /student, but a friend. but, no need of that. There are other folks in our vicinity to support these two students, and I like them very much, so I would be happy to see that, or be confident that it's going on.
I don't need the ego boost of being directly involved. I am too fine a person for that.

Ahem...ha ha ..... thanks for taking the time folks. (Feeling the love.)