News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Purchases that turned out to be really, really great

Started by ergative, September 26, 2022, 07:40:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morden

Returning to say, thank you for the recommendations for the Ninja blender. It works much better than the Oster I was using before.
Also, I enjoy my electric toothbrush quite a lot.

Vkw10

Stopped at The Nifty Nuthouse on my way through Wichita, KS. Both the pistachios and the chocolate coated razz berries (not raspberries) were excellent. The place is clearly a local treasure, as there was a long line to get in fifteen minutes before opening time. I shall return next time I'm in that area of Kansas.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

secundem_artem

I got sick and tired of not being able to get my lawnmower and snowblower started.  Last year I purchased an Ego lawnmower and  Ego snowblower.  Both battery operated.  Each ships with 1-2 large lithium batteries and a recharging station.  A full charge is about enough to do the lawn twice or the driveway, patio and sidewalk twice.  Each is about the same price as a traditional gas powered machine.  And they start every time. 

Plus I now get a Christmas card from that annoying little goblin who is always banging on about the environment congratulating me on being so green.  Win-win all around.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

sinenomine

I cook a lot of fish, onions, and garlic, and a few years ago got one of those stainless steel discs that take away odors when you rub your hands on them. It works like a charm — I'm happy (and still amazed!) every time I use it.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

Morden

Reviving an old thread to say that the Ninja blender died (although in fairness we do blend more than the average household). We just got a Vitamix--pricey, but wow.

Bbmaj7b5

I have played guitar since I was nine, and electric guitar in bands since I was in my teens. Despite 50 years' worth of playing, I have only recently begun buying equipment (guitars, amps, pedals) that aren't the cheapest thing around, and it took being part of two faculty bands (one with potential for at least monthly gigs) to reset my thinking. This has all paid off - not only in reliability and trustworthiness but also in playing enjoyment and progress in facility.

pgher

Quote from: Bbmaj7b5 on June 18, 2023, 02:17:21 PMI have played guitar since I was nine, and electric guitar in bands since I was in my teens. Despite 50 years' worth of playing, I have only recently begun buying equipment (guitars, amps, pedals) that aren't the cheapest thing around, and it took being part of two faculty bands (one with potential for at least monthly gigs) to reset my thinking. This has all paid off - not only in reliability and trustworthiness but also in playing enjoyment and progress in facility.

My first guitar was a cheap acoustic. Its action was SO high. I didn't realize how bad it was and how much it was holding me back until I got a Taylor.

ergative

Quote from: Morden on June 18, 2023, 09:57:52 AMReviving an old thread to say that the Ninja blender died (although in fairness we do blend more than the average household). We just got a Vitamix--pricey, but wow.

No matter how much you use a blender, it should really last more than six months! Thanks for the update; I'm in the market for a blender, and I will update my priors to include this tidbit about n=1 longevity of the brand.

Anselm

I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

Bbmaj7b5

Quote from: Bbmaj7b5 on June 18, 2023, 02:17:21 PMI have played guitar since I was nine, and electric guitar in bands since I was in my teens. Despite 50 years' worth of playing, I have only recently begun buying equipment (guitars, amps, pedals) that aren't the cheapest thing around, and it took being part of two faculty bands (one with potential for at least monthly gigs) to reset my thinking. This has all paid off - not only in reliability and trustworthiness but also in playing enjoyment and progress in facility.

I have also not been precious about letting stuff go. I just sold a Gretsch semi-hollow Electromatic guitar (a big red guitar) and bought a PRS SE Custom 24. It's a lot more comfortable to play. If I end up liking the coil splitting feature as well, I will probably sell my Telecaster.

MarathonRunner

Quote from: Funastrum on October 10, 2022, 09:04:33 AM
Quote from: ciao_yall on September 26, 2022, 09:16:13 AMMy Ninja Foodi. The exact model isn't listed but you can get close.

I went to Target because my slow cooker finally died. Found a slow cooker for $20. Then for $40, there was one with a pressure cooker. For $80 I could get an air fryer. For $160 I could get a gizmo that did all three, but...

Anyway, $320 later it does All The Things. I can roast a whole chicken in an hour and it is so moist and crisp and tender. While the chicken rests I roast vegetables and we have a great meal.

My kitchen is small but I managed to find a spot in one of the cabinets for it. Gets used once or twice a week.

I also rate my air fryer as the best thing ever.  As someone who really does not cook, it is the ultimate appliance for making food heat up tastily. 

Our Ninja Speedi is the best cooking device we've ever purchased (spouse and I). 12 different modes. Can make a complete healthy meal consisting of a high fibre carb, vegetables, and a low fat protein, all in one pot, in 25 minutes. Can cook pretty much anything we want. Makes cooking from scratch, healthy eating, and clean up so easy. Meat is cooked perfectly too, no overdone steak or dry chicken. Can cook from fresh or frozen. Well worth it for us.

lightning

Quote from: secundem_artem on December 26, 2022, 02:16:20 PMI got sick and tired of not being able to get my lawnmower and snowblower started.  Last year I purchased an Ego lawnmower and  Ego snowblower.  Both battery operated.  Each ships with 1-2 large lithium batteries and a recharging station.  A full charge is about enough to do the lawn twice or the driveway, patio and sidewalk twice.  Each is about the same price as a traditional gas powered machine.  And they start every time. 

Plus I now get a Christmas card from that annoying little goblin who is always banging on about the environment congratulating me on being so green.  Win-win all around.
I've had my EGO mower for two summers. I can never go back to  dealing with small engine oil changes, running to the gas station to fill a gas can, inhaling gas fumes, putting up with the loud engine, and, yeah, the non-starts after a long winter. Oh, and that headlight, as useless as it is for trying to mow when the sun is completely down, is still nice to have if I'm mowing around dusk. I'm thinking of getting an EGO snow blower, too, but I have not bitten the bullet, yet, because I still find that shoveling snow (like mowing my own lawn) is great exercise.

ab_grp

Quote from: MarathonRunner on August 26, 2023, 06:00:59 PM
Quote from: Funastrum on October 10, 2022, 09:04:33 AM
Quote from: ciao_yall on September 26, 2022, 09:16:13 AMMy Ninja Foodi. The exact model isn't listed but you can get close.

I went to Target because my slow cooker finally died. Found a slow cooker for $20. Then for $40, there was one with a pressure cooker. For $80 I could get an air fryer. For $160 I could get a gizmo that did all three, but...

Anyway, $320 later it does All The Things. I can roast a whole chicken in an hour and it is so moist and crisp and tender. While the chicken rests I roast vegetables and we have a great meal.

My kitchen is small but I managed to find a spot in one of the cabinets for it. Gets used once or twice a week.

I also rate my air fryer as the best thing ever.  As someone who really does not cook, it is the ultimate appliance for making food heat up tastily. 

Our Ninja Speedi is the best cooking device we've ever purchased (spouse and I). 12 different modes. Can make a complete healthy meal consisting of a high fibre carb, vegetables, and a low fat protein, all in one pot, in 25 minutes. Can cook pretty much anything we want. Makes cooking from scratch, healthy eating, and clean up so easy. Meat is cooked perfectly too, no overdone steak or dry chicken. Can cook from fresh or frozen. Well worth it for us.

We picked up the Ninja 12-in-1 Smart Double Oven (https://www.ninjakitchen.com/products/ninja-12-in-1-smart-double-oven-zidDCT451) during the Amazon Prime Days sale after eyeing it for a while, and we've used it every day since (usually multiple times each day).  Our toaster oven was getting old, and we've been using an air fryer lid on our Instant Pot for air frying for a long time now, so this takes the place of both for us.  It has more capacity for air frying, so I can do all the potatoes or brussels that I want to do in one batch.  I have to keep reminding myself that the top and bottom are independent ovens, so if my husband leaves his jalapenos and serranos roasting in the bottom I can still reheat stuff or toast a bun in the top.  It can supposedly cook a full meal (cooking various parts in sequentially or together) and have things finish at the same time, but we have not tried that yet.  I want to roast a small chicken in it! I don't work for Ninja but have been happy with my Ninja purchases so far so wanted to add to the comments here.

ciao_yall

Quote from: ab_grp on August 27, 2023, 09:56:09 AMWe picked up the Ninja 12-in-1 Smart Double Oven (https://www.ninjakitchen.com/products/ninja-12-in-1-smart-double-oven-zidDCT451) during the Amazon Prime Days sale after eyeing it for a while, and we've used it every day since (usually multiple times each day).  Our toaster oven was getting old, and we've been using an air fryer lid on our Instant Pot for air frying for a long time now, so this takes the place of both for us.  It has more capacity for air frying, so I can do all the potatoes or brussels that I want to do in one batch.  I have to keep reminding myself that the top and bottom are independent ovens, so if my husband leaves his jalapenos and serranos roasting in the bottom I can still reheat stuff or toast a bun in the top.  It can supposedly cook a full meal (cooking various parts in sequentially or together) and have things finish at the same time, but we have not tried that yet.  I want to roast a small chicken in it! I don't work for Ninja but have been happy with my Ninja purchases so far so wanted to add to the comments here.

I have tried the whole-meal-at-once thing and it doesn't quite work. Something was always overcooked and something else was always undercooked.

ab_grp

Quote from: ciao_yall on August 27, 2023, 10:30:37 AM
Quote from: ab_grp on August 27, 2023, 09:56:09 AMWe picked up the Ninja 12-in-1 Smart Double Oven (https://www.ninjakitchen.com/products/ninja-12-in-1-smart-double-oven-zidDCT451) during the Amazon Prime Days sale after eyeing it for a while, and we've used it every day since (usually multiple times each day).  Our toaster oven was getting old, and we've been using an air fryer lid on our Instant Pot for air frying for a long time now, so this takes the place of both for us.  It has more capacity for air frying, so I can do all the potatoes or brussels that I want to do in one batch.  I have to keep reminding myself that the top and bottom are independent ovens, so if my husband leaves his jalapenos and serranos roasting in the bottom I can still reheat stuff or toast a bun in the top.  It can supposedly cook a full meal (cooking various parts in sequentially or together) and have things finish at the same time, but we have not tried that yet.  I want to roast a small chicken in it! I don't work for Ninja but have been happy with my Ninja purchases so far so wanted to add to the comments here.

I have tried the whole-meal-at-once thing and it doesn't quite work. Something was always overcooked and something else was always undercooked.

That's a shame! To say that I am skeptical of their claims is an understatement, but I still want to give it a try.  Do you happen to remember what all you tried to cook together? I assume there might be a narrow range of possibilities that have the potential to turn out well.