News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

North Carolina redistricting case

Started by jimbogumbo, September 29, 2022, 01:08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbogumbo

The SCOTUS will be deciding whether a state legislature is the sole decider on redistricting maps. What I'm curious about is what the R's who sued are concerned about re the proposed map. It seems darn reasonable given many I've seen.

https://www.thenation.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/Mystal-NC_electoral_map-no_caption.jpg

mahagonny

I'm curious about how many black citizens who have the option to move out of urban areas into whiter rural areas have been reluctant to because they've been told everyone in those areas is going to hate them.

jimbogumbo

Okay, being a math guy who also pays attention to maps like this I was curious. But, you have beaten me into submission, and I now give up.

mahagonny

Quote from: jimbogumbo on September 29, 2022, 03:02:12 PM
Okay, being a math guy who also pays attention to maps like this I was curious. But, you have beaten me into submission, and I now give up.

My goodness that was easy. And I wasn't even trying to. I thought you tenured PhD guys were made of sterner stuff than that.

Sun_Worshiper

The legislature is (1) looking to make the map even more lopsided and (2) hoping that the SC will rule that their maps can never be challenged by state courts in the future. Seems likely that the SC will give them both, but we'll see.

jimbogumbo

Yeah, I know that. It just seems like a pretty innocuous map. Can't see counties, but the districts sure are compact and contiguous.