News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Brag on your kids or pets thread

Started by larryc, December 01, 2022, 06:37:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larryc

Yeah, both are often a huge pain in the ass, but what have your fur babies or skin babies done lately that has delighted you or made you proud? Tell us about it.

Parasaurolophus

The hatchling recites entire pages of Moomintroll.

To himself.
I know it's a genus.

larryc

larryc

My youngest, 22, identified as a MAGA Republican in highschool. He celebrated Trump's victory in 2016 and my God we had some fights.

But subsequently he came around. Moderated his views. In 2020 he cast his first presidential vote--for Biden.

Tonight he is texting us from Georgia. He flew there (we live in Washington State) to doorbell for Raphael Warnock. He arranged the whole thing on his own (to be clear he's working with a group) and is spending his own money to be there.

FishProf

Smolt just passed her karate Brown-Belt test.

I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: larryc on December 01, 2022, 10:08:04 PM
My youngest, 22, identified as a MAGA Republican in highschool. He celebrated Trump's victory in 2016 and my God we had some fights.

But subsequently he came around. Moderated his views. In 2020 he cast his first presidential vote--for Biden.

Tonight he is texting us from Georgia. He flew there (we live in Washington State) to doorbell for Raphael Warnock. He arranged the whole thing on his own (to be clear he's working with a group) and is spending his own money to be there.

Oh wow. What changed his mind?
I know it's a genus.

larryc

It's a super interesting story actually. In high school he was a gamer and very involved in debate, both of which are conveyor belts to the alt-right. But he is a fan of a twitch streamer who calls himself Destiny. Destiny is a superstar in this niche world, and he is best known for leading young men out of the ultright and into progressive democratic politics.

It was Destiny who organized the doorbelling campaign for Warnock. He did the same thing at the last runoff. There were 300 people in my son's team and they knocked on the doors of every registered Democrat in Savannah. 300 people, most of them former alt-right, doorbelling for Warnock. How amazing is that?

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: larryc on December 26, 2022, 11:17:16 PM
It's a super interesting story actually. In high school he was a gamer and very involved in debate, both of which are conveyor belts to the alt-right. But he is a fan of a twitch streamer who calls himself Destiny. Destiny is a superstar in this niche world, and he is best known for leading young men out of the ultright and into progressive democratic politics.

It was Destiny who organized the doorbelling campaign for Warnock. He did the same thing at the last runoff. There were 300 people in my son's team and they knocked on the doors of every registered Democrat in Savannah. 300 people, most of them former alt-right, doorbelling for Warnock. How amazing is that?

That's awesome, Larry. 

We just adopted a shelter dog.  She is extremely cute.  Our longtime family dog, a Frenchie, is also very cute.  Cuteness is their superpower. 
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

secundem_artem

Artem Pup now has the courage to descend the stairs on his own.  Now, nothing in the basement is safe.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

evil_physics_witchcraft

Elder evil cat has blessed the kitchen with a large belch.

lillipat

I'm actually really rather proud of the cat, to whom we all refer as Maria Theresa, for her imperious air.  My active toddler grandson, experienced with a small arthritic dog, considered the cat a fascinating novelty, repeatedly going up to her and exclaiming "cat!" and reaching out to pet her.  Good for him; his pets were indeed very gentle.  Good for her (whose vet files include the designation "feisty"), she stayed still, softly mewed each time he said "cat" and made no aggressive moves at all.  Would not have predicted any of this!

Antiphon1

Anti sons 1, 2, and 3 are officially off the 1st National Antiphon scheduled dispersions.  With the possible exception of real emergencies, but still.  Praise be to whoever is listening out there.