News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Small nuclear reactors

Started by nebo113, December 05, 2022, 11:04:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nebo113

Noise is being made about placing a small nuclear reactor in my county.  Since we are losing population, any project that promises JOBS, regardless of potential consequences, is sucked up to like a puppy at a teat.  Construction would be modular and apparently offsite, so how many local jobs might be generated?  And , approximately how many people are necessary to operate a SMR, and how many would be permanently oN site?

I have poked around on the internet, but can't find any figures.  Might someone help me with search terms ?

Thanks.

dismalist

Mercy, hard to find.

Here's a study from 2010 which guesses 374 permanent jobs in operations and 1238 temporary jobs in construction. Manufacturing will not be local. See Table 10, p. 33.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/256064650_Economic_and_Employment_Impacts_of_Small_Modular_Nuclear_Reactors#pf23

There's a tad more by googling employment in small modular reactors, but I didn't look at the two or three other relevant items on the first page.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Anselm

The ones I read about decades ago would be mostly stand alone units with minimal supervision, so almost no jobs added to the community. 
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

nebo113

nebo113

This exchange is why I appreciate  Fora.  And I would not have asked prior to the banning.