News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Krispy Kreme V Duncan Vs ??

Started by clean, July 12, 2019, 09:19:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clean

I dont usually eat doughnuts, but when I do I eat....???

Sounds like a beer commercial, doesnt it?

In my town, there is no Krispy Kreme. We had one for a short while, but it shut down. I suppose that I was not a regular enough customer.  Last fall, I was on 'development leave' in Florida and when I would leave Research Town to visit my parents, I would occasionally stop at KK for a 'care package'.  If my brother's family was also visiting, I would bring several boxes.   When they are hot and fresh, they are wonderful!  (not that they are 'healthy' or 'good for me', but as I ate them, I suppose that they were 'on my diet'.  I sure like the 'regular' ones.  They have Chocolate Frosted on the First Friday of the month. I have tried them once, but I didnt particularly think that they were better than the normal days output.

We have Duncan Doughnuts around and about, but somehow, I just dont like all of the powdered sugar that gets all over everything.  There, I like lemon filled and the vanilla filled.  However, somehow I get the feeling that they are not always freshly made, at least at the store. There was a commercial (ages ago) where the baker would say, "Time to make the doughnuts".  I just dont get the feeling that the stores I have visited last were stocked with doughnuts made just hours ago.

Anyway, I am thinking about doughnuts today  and IF I were to act on those thoughts, it would be to visit a Krispy Kreme .

Where would you go, now that I have planted the seed of a doughnut thought in your head?  What would you order?
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

eigen

Almost always a local shop. We actually have a place in town that was an "original" Krispy Kreme, back in the 50s, and then split. And their donuts are fantastic.
Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

gsawpenny

If the choice is between Krispy Kreme and Dunkin...I go KK every time. They are just better. That said, when I travel I always try to find the best local place.

spork

I remember the "got to make the donuts" commercial too. Dunkin was just in the news regarding a corporate policy to sue franchisees if they hire illegal/undocumented workers. Supposedly all franchise owners are supposed to use e-Verify, ensure I-9 compliance, etc.

Anyway, a handful of boutique "gourmet" doughnut shops have opened in this area in the last few years. My tastes are basic, like chocolate glazed. I don't want rum custard hazelnut filling with bacon bit and organic free range date sprinkles. When I first moved here, a local shop beat out Dunkin and Tim Horton's (which has since pulled up stakes) for chocolate glazed -- not as sugary sweet, could actually taste some chocolate.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

ciao_yall

When I lived in North Carolina the Krispy Kreme donuts were supposedly made with lard.

When they went national they switched to vegetable shortening and were never quite as good as I remembered.

mamselle

This was resolved in my area (where DD started) about a decade ago. KK came barreling in, sure they'd win out.

A couple years later they "folded their tents...and as silently steeled away..."

Maybe it's regional.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Bbmaj7b5

I worked for Winchell's Donuts in high school, and got to be a baker at the end of my time there.

When then engineering firm where I was employed during college ran out of work and furloughed me for a couple of months, I went to the nearest Winchell's and showed them I could bake. They hired me on the spot. I did that until the work picked up again at the firm. Since then I've fancied donut baking as a back pocket skill I could use in case everything else dried up ("Well, gotta make rent. Time to get back in the game." <pulls down leather case holding antique finished spalted maple rolling pin with ivory handles> "Hello, Sweetness. Miss me? Let's get to work!")

I live in a Shipley's town, but my favorite doughnuts are from a local place that also sells kolaches. They have the best old-fashioned doughnuts I've had in a long time. They even have maple frosted old fashioned donuts. Had you gone back in time and told my younger donut baking self that the future would hold maple frosted old fashioned, I would have burned you for witchcraft - probably using the donut fryer.

mythbuster

Ooh, Winchell's. Yummm.
   Now are we discussing baked (cake) donuts or fried donuts? Because they are two very different things. Best donuts I've ever had are from my home town, local bakery. Pilgrim Kitchen has been there since at least the 30s. The equipment likely is that old, and the recipes certainly are.  They know what a real old-fashioned donut is, which neither KK nor DD know how to do.

downer

I'm partial to craft donuts. Little places are still springing up all over. My favorite in NYC is still Dough, which has several stores and gets sold in other places too -- I found them for sale at a place in Chinatown once.

Sometimes I go for a more traditional and cheaper donut from long-established shops. I will occasionally make a pilgrimage to Peter Pan Donuts.

I have to say that those ring shaped products sold by Duncan ... well, nope. Not for me.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

drbrt

Timbits. I bought a box of Timbits to bring to my coworkers who live here with me in KK country. I had two different people at the airport offer me money for the Timbits.

Vkw10

Krispy Kreme for hot glazed and lemon filled.
Dunkin for Bavarian Cream and donut holes.
Shipleys for cinnamon sugar, cake, and a mixed dozen for a meeting.
Local Mexican bakery's Tuesday afternoon donut.

The Mexican bakery in town does donuts on Tuesday afternoons, whatever flavor the baker feels like making. This week was mango glazed. He makes 5-6 dozen, sold from 2 pm until he runs out. Limit two donuts per person. One dollar each, quarters or dollar bills only. He's usually sold out by 2:30.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

aside

I'm a cake donut fan, from local shops mostly on the rare occasions I allow myself one, so no KK for me.  They folded in my area as well, anyway.

mamselle

People really do know it's Dunkin',  yes?

Not the Scots name, the former first half of Dunkin' Donuts...

I don't follow why they decided to change it...it's like IHOP and burgers...hunh?

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

polly_mer

Most of the time, I've live in small enough towns that we have no donuts.  Technically, we have a bakery here, but one cannot buy donuts past about 7 AM.  The chain grocery store is surprisingly lacking in good donuts at any time, but we can buy Hostess prepackaged.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!