News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Krispy Kreme V Duncan Vs ??

Started by clean, July 12, 2019, 09:19:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hmaria1609

I remember hearing about Honeydew Donuts while I was in college north of Boston.  It's a New England regional chain.

We've got quite a few Dunkin' stores here in the metro DC area.  I like getting hot chocolate and coffee there during the fall and winter months; it's iced coffee in the spring and summer.

scamp

I love me a good cake donut, which DD fails at (I want KK if it is going to be the other type). My biggest problem with a lot of the newer donut shops is that they try and make it about toppings, when donuts should all be able the donut itself, with a simple glaze or powder on it at most. Voodoo donuts is the most overrated donut there is.

Conjugate

Just came here to see if anybody showed love to Tim Horton's, and sure enough, two of you! There used to be quite a few more Canadians hereabouts.

My own tiny little town, about 3000 people, has a nice little donut shop that also makes some nice breakfast sandwiches (like McDonald's, but less... chain-foody, if you see what I mean).  Their donuts are pretty good, and quite reasonable. It's owned by a nice Asian couple.
∀ε>0∃δ>0∋|x–a|<δ⇒|ƒ(x)-ƒ(a)|<ε

Vkw10

Quote from: Conjugate on July 15, 2019, 03:58:43 PM
Just came here to see if anybody showed love to Tim Horton's, and sure enough, two of you! There used to be quite a few more Canadians hereabouts.

I've met so many ardent Tim Horton's fans that I'm tempted to plan a Canadian vacation just to try them.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

Conjugate

Quote from: Vkw10 on July 15, 2019, 04:33:41 PM

I've met so many ardent Tim Horton's fans that I'm tempted to plan a Canadian vacation just to try them.

I believe there are a few in the US; Michigan, I think, and a few other border states.  But if you're going that way, you might as well go enjoy Banff or other nice scenic parts of CA.
∀ε>0∃δ>0∋|x–a|<δ⇒|ƒ(x)-ƒ(a)|<ε

drbrt

Quote from: Conjugate on July 15, 2019, 06:02:35 PM
Quote from: Vkw10 on July 15, 2019, 04:33:41 PM

I believe there are a few in the US; Michigan, I think, and a few other border states.  But if you're going that way, you might as well go enjoy Banff or other nice scenic parts of CA.
I believe North Dakota has some TH, as does possibly Minnesota. Michigan does for sure.

quasihumanist

Upstate NY has some Tim's also - in fact they serve a few rest areas on the Thruway.

I think Tim Horton's is just a better version of Dunkin' (better donuts, better coffee, better non-donut food).  That's not saying much, but it's enough to make them my default cheap fast food when in Canada.

bioteacher

Mr. Donut is my favorite and they no longer exist. Krispy Kreme are grease puddles. I prefer Duncan Donuts, but we're all different.

mamselle

Dunkin'

The idea was that the original cake donuts were so substantial you could dunk them in your coffee and they wouldn't fall apart.

Or at least, that's the word on the street (or in the police car).

Speaking of which, they have appeared in at least one MIT hack:

http://hacks.mit.edu/Hacks/by_year/1994/cp_car/

The car was reconstructed, along with several other hacks, in the new student center building (which some would claim is itself a hack; I prefer to think of it as the result of a marriage between Gaudi and Hundertwasser)

The fountain with the fire hydrant is near the door to the refectory, if anyone's looking.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

archaeo42

Anyone else (probably in NE/East Coast) remember The Whole Donut? They were competition for Dunkin' in the 80s/90s until they went under.

The quality of Dunkin' went down when they stopped making their donuts in shop. They're now all delivered to stores.

In grad school, I lived near a Quality Dairy factory bakery. The days they made donuts made it really hard not to want to drive somewhere to get one.
"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate."

onthefringe

Quote from: archaeo42 on July 16, 2019, 08:17:16 AM

The quality of Dunkin' went down when they stopped making their donuts in shop. They're now all delivered to stores.

Lo these many moons ago I spent a summer as a "night finisher", frosting and filling donuts at Dunkin. At the time I think they were by far the best franchise donut shop around, but I agree that since the advent of off site production (and removal of trans fats) their quality has declined sharply.

I strongly prefer cake donuts, and think most places make them too soft and spongy. Of the chains, Tim Horton's is fine and Krispy Kreme is too sweet.

lightning

Quote from: Bbmaj7b5 on July 12, 2019, 12:00:26 PM
I worked for Winchell's Donuts in high school, and got to be a baker at the end of my time there.

When then engineering firm where I was employed during college ran out of work and furloughed me for a couple of months, I went to the nearest Winchell's and showed them I could bake. They hired me on the spot. I did that until the work picked up again at the firm. Since then I've fancied donut baking as a back pocket skill I could use in case everything else dried up ("Well, gotta make rent. Time to get back in the game." <pulls down leather case holding antique finished spalted maple rolling pin with ivory handles> "Hello, Sweetness. Miss me? Let's get to work!")

I live in a Shipley's town, but my favorite doughnuts are from a local place that also sells kolaches. They have the best old-fashioned doughnuts I've had in a long time. They even have maple frosted old fashioned donuts. Had you gone back in time and told my younger donut baking self that the future would hold maple frosted old fashioned, I would have burned you for witchcraft - probably using the donut fryer.

I'm so glad someone mentioned Winchell's. Krispy Kreme is just too over the top sugary-tasting. I'll make exception for the fresh hot glazed at KK, because when made right, they melt in your mouth. Duncan Doughnuts is the go-to place, where I know I will not be disappointed, but if I see a Winchell's, I'll go there. 

magnemite

Tim's for north of the border for sure (coffee and their donuts).

Here in Pokémon town we have neither KK nor Duncan, but do have a totally awesome local shop. Which makes me wish for a nice Bismark...
may you ride eternal, shiny and chrome

mamselle

It's "Dunkin'" people, not "Duncan"!

<breathes....calms down, walks 2 blocks to the nearby DD with wifi, has tea and a croissant and gets 2 glazed doughnuts to take home.>

OK, just FYI....

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

archaeo42

"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate."