News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Self Publishing for NON-academics

Started by mythbuster, December 07, 2022, 07:25:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mythbuster

My MIL has spent the last year+  writing the saga of the greater family. She has long been the keeper of all the family stories, and putting it all down in writing has been a great exercise for her in her retirement. She even has photos picked out that correspond to different chapters. Her manuscript now runs to 200+ pages!
   She would like to get this bound and printed- I'm guessing a run of 15-20 copies would be plenty to hand out to various members of the family. Does anyone here have a recommendation for a reasonable self publishing firm that could handle this? I figure our group would have some experience with this. And if you self-publish, can you get the book into the Library of Congress? That would be real hoot for her. I'm not from a book publishing field, so any advice is appreciated.

Hegemony

There are a number of outfits that will do this. Here's the list as of the last time I looked into it:

Barnes & Noble Print on Demand
The Book Patch (https://www.thebookpatch.com/)
Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing (AKD) — they publish in hard copy as well as in electronic copies
Lulu.com

And reportedly Staples and FedEx will print and bind, though I don't know if you have to have the whole thing laid out via some other program.

I know people who've done Book Patch, AKD, and Lulu, and they seem to have had a good experience.

sinenomine

"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

apl68

Depending on where you live, there might be somebody locally who could do a good, professional job of printing up a limited run of this sort.  It's worth checking out.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Parasaurolophus

Staples (here, anyway) doesn't bind with a proper cover. It's more like spiral binding or a softcover presentation thing.

You should have a printer somewhere relatively nearby who'll do it, though. But you might be best advised to do the layout and stuff yourself, using InDesign or Quark Express or something similar.
I know it's a genus.

jerseyjay

I am not sure about the Library of Congress, although I would suspect that some of the better-known self-publishers could help with that.

However, as a historian, I would suggest that she donate a copy either to her local public library (which usually have a local history department),  to a local public or university research library and/or to a local historical society. There have been times when I have been researching a historical event (a war, the depression, a strike, whatever), and I have wondered how it impacted local people. I could see a collection of family stories/family histories might be useful for historians in this regard.

(Before donating it, I would suggest contacting the librarian/archivist to see if they would be interested.)

hmaria1609

Quote from: jerseyjay on December 08, 2022, 08:00:52 AM
I am not sure about the Library of Congress, although I would suspect that some of the better-known self-publishers could help with that.

However, as a historian, I would suggest that she donate a copy either to her local public library (which usually have a local history department),  to a local public or university research library and/or to a local historical society. There have been times when I have been researching a historical event (a war, the depression, a strike, whatever), and I have wondered how it impacted local people. I could see a collection of family stories/family histories might be useful for historians in this regard.

(Before donating it, I would suggest contacting the librarian/archivist to see if they would be interested.)
Chime about the local historical society or the public library with a local/state department!

mamselle

Also, local and regional/national genealogical societies will take a copy.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

dinomom

I have used blurb.com a few times. They do a very nice job.

traductio

Quote from: dinomom on December 08, 2022, 05:24:57 PM
I have used blurb.com a few times. They do a very nice job.

My daughter wrote and published a children's book in fourth grade using Blurb. It comes with a decent entry-level, user-friendly typesetting app (like a really scaled down version of Adobe InDesign), and the books looked really good when they were done. It's not professional-level quality, of course, but for DIY projects, I thought it was pretty neat. Neat enough, in fact, that I have done a few other projects there.

ETA: Good on your MIL for writing all those things down. That type of family can be too easily lost, and it's a cool gift (both the book and what's in the book) for your family.

Wahoo Redux

If you self-publish with Amazon you can make the saga free of charge.  Anybody in your family who wants to read it can as long as they have access to a computer or a Kindle.

You can also have it printed by Amazon services, of course.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Vkw10

ThesisOnDemand will do a nice hardcover binding from electronic files. The service is aimed at graduate students, but they'll bind other things. Doesn't get you an ISBN, though.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

apl68

Quote from: hmaria1609 on December 08, 2022, 04:37:54 PM

Chime about the local historical society or the public library with a local/state department!

Another chime about donating to a local local library.  Although it is a courtesy to check with them first, they'll usually be glad to have a copy.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.