News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

A crazy quilt for a life...

Started by mamselle, December 14, 2022, 07:40:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Istiblennius

I continue to be impressed by what a gracious example you are for bringing richness and thoughtfulness to your communities. Your news saddens me as well, and I find your approach to sharing this news and thinking about your plans to be in keeping with your style - thanks for being you.

onehappyunicorn

I can only echo the thoughts that have been expressed here already, I have greatly appreciated your kindness and contributions.

AmLitHist

Adding my respect and all good thoughts, Mamselle.

Ruralguy

I'd like to say "thank you" to you, Mamselle for your insights. Please keep posting for as long as you are able to or care to.

I don't have many suggestions for what you can do about orphaned research, though aside from putting it out there in various ways on the internet, I think probably contacting the scholars who might care and who know you would probably at least be putting it in the hands who most care.

traductio

Everything everyone has said here is true. I've been lucky enough to "meet" mamselle (virtually, at least) in real life, one of the few forumites I've ever connected to their screen name, and she is as generous in real life as she is here.

I've been thinking about the idea of a website for orphaned research. I think the idea has real merit, but beyond storing orphaned research, I've been trying to think of how best to put such a site to use. If others are interested in collaborating on a project like this, send me a message. I think if others were willing to think through the project with me, I'd be glad to do it. I've seen mamselle's research, and its value to me is clear.

poiuy

Oh mamselle ....
I am sooo sorry to hear about this.
I join the others in good wishes for a good prognosis and a smooth sojourn. I am also one of those who have greatly appreciated your many talents, gentle tone, and wise words on this forum. 
I hope you have a loving circle of friends and family in real life, holding you up now.
Wishing you much love and all the best.

Stockmann

I'm very sorry to hear this. Thank you for all your contributions to this community. You're very much in our thoughts.

Thursday's_Child

I earnestly hope that this news is not as bad as it seems!  Wishing you courage, strength, and the best possible medical care.

poiuy

Greetings friends:
Is there any update on Mamselle?

traductio

I've just sent her an email, and I'll let you know when I hear back.

mamselle

No charger at the hospital (everyone, donate), took a week to organize!

Update, probably tomorrow.

Possibly a tiny bit better prognosis....will know more tomorrow.

Thanks for all kind thoughts!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

dinomom

I am so sorry to hear this, Mamselle.
As others have already mentioned, I have been inspired by your breadth of interests and expertise, tidbits of which, left in posts here, have made me quite curious to know more about your research.
Thinking of you.

glowdart

Ah, [many expletives.]

I love the idea of an orphaned research site. I had a scare a couple of years ago shortly after a senior colleague & mentor passed and passed along a project. I can't bring myself to pick it up, but their passing and the thoughts of mortality and what to do with my own half-finished works makes me particularly love the idea of some kind of online exchange where women can defiantly push back on the structures of solitary research — a communal way to send the boxes of material to someone who can pick it up, or to parse the archive or lab components into sections to be distributed sounds like a beautiful thing. I'd love that - and it would a wonderful middle finger to disease and subversion of the worst parts of the academy.

fleabite

Quote from: mamselle on December 19, 2022, 06:32:00 PM
No charger at the hospital (everyone, donate), took a week to organize!

Update, probably tomorrow.

Possibly a tiny bit better prognosis....will know more tomorrow.

Thanks for all kind thoughts!

M.

Any bit better is great news. I hope that today brings an even more positive prognosis.

ab_grp

I have been thinking of you, Mamselle, and I'm sending my best wishes your way.