News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

A crazy quilt for a life...

Started by mamselle, December 14, 2022, 07:40:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Dear all.

So this is a bit different, as posts go.

Three different parts, in embryo: I'll expand on them and maybe split to different threads as I go.

First:

I probably mentioned I thought I was dealing with some GI stuff earlier this fall.

Apparently, I was, but in a different way.

I'm currently in the hospital, and the GI/tummy involvement is of a different type.

I'll know more, probably tomorrow, but I seem to have acquired a hitch-hiker and some of his buddies on my ovaries over the past year or so. No signs--no pain, no obvious distension except what I mistook for GI gas, etc.....oops.

So, an update in a few days with more definition, but I'm guessing 6 months or less is the prognosis.

No pity party, please, but suggestions and ideas for  managing situations welcome.

B. Abandoned/orphaned research agendas, especially for females:

Based on the now-likeley-to-be truncated research agenda I'd just started to nurture into deeper life (getting requests and openings for things I've developed and. loved into being for decades), and which I've both started mourning, already, and thinking about practically, I'm getting an idea for something that may be useful to others, too.

I'll probably make a new thread,, but wondering what you think of it.

I know I'm not alone among academic females in finding it hard to see things into publication--even the fictional Stephanie in Byatts' work dies as she's thinking of a new poem.

I'm thinking of a site in which independant women scholars facing end-of- life choices about their work could write it up, indicate the directions they'd hoped to take it in, and leave it for responsible curation and use by others--younger or other female scholars in related fields, say.

Subtitle might be, "Her unfinished words," or something."

Obviously, I have pieces of my own in that category: I'd use those as a template: and start out with them....others may have others?--etc.

C, One thing follows the other, so swiftly. I'll have both, more info and clarity tomorrow,  but more to get sorted quickly--a few months ', I'd say; will post more tomorrow.

I've had a fun, great, rich, joyous life, (and yes every story I have ever related is true, to someone who asked).

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

little bongo

Mamselle, you will be missed. Thank you for all you've brought to the fora. I hope that the next several months brings little to no physical pain, as well as opportunities for you to witness your friends and loved ones celebrating you. And opportunities for you to tie up whatever you feel needs tying up, and to celebrate yourself as well.

Morden

Mamselle, I have always enjoyed your contributions on the fora and admired your intellectual and creative breadth.
I think the question of what happens to our work (academic and otherwise) after we leave is profound. I believe that some of our students will carry forward bits of our enthusiasm and knowledge; some of our conversations will have been meaningful even if no one remembers exactly who we were. If there are research collaborators or colleagues, they might take forward threads of our work. If you decide that you want to create this sort of website to facilitate the "quilters," I think it would be useful to reach out to people you've met at conferences, etc. so that they know it's there and can direct others towards it.

Wahoo Redux

You are in my prayers, mamselle, every day.  Your kindness and insightfulness have not gone unnoticed. 

I always hate it when people are overly optimistic, but my mother-in-law survived ovarian cancer in good style because of a very good surgeon.  I'm going to be hoping and praying that this is what happens with you.  I would take on finishing some humanities research...but I think I will stand on hope for the moment that you will finish it yourself in health.

Keep us informed.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Juvenal

Ever supportive, constantly even-tempered, often amusing.  Your presence will be missed, and The Fora the less for its loss.
Cranky septuagenarian

Langue_doc

Sorry to hear about the diagnosis. Sending you good thoughts for healing.

hmaria1609

I've sent you a PM.  I will say here that it's been wonderful having you here from the old to the new Fora.

EdnaMode

Well, **bleep.** I'm sorry to hear this. Thank you for your kindness and wisdom shared on the fora, and you will be in my prayers as you navigate these next several months.
I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.

Puget

I'm so very sorry to hear this, and hope that the news ends up being less bad than you fear!
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Cheerful

Thinking of you, Dear Mamselle, the kind heart and soul of The Fora going back to The Chronicle years.

You are in my prayers.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Yes, you will be missed. Thanks for all that you have given.

darkstarrynight

Thank you for sharing with us your personal news. You are in the "fora family" so this is tough to learn. I wish you healing and no pain, and the great belief I have in hope for your health to improve so you can continue shining light into the world.

Clarino1

Thank you ao much for your thoughtful, well-reasoned posts.  It has been nice having another musician/musicologist here/

Larimar

+1 to many of the previous replies. I'll be praying for you too, Mamselle. You've been so kind and helpful to so many of us fora denizens, including me. Thank you for all you have done for us. I have long appreciated your wise and thoughtful posts.

Larimar

hmaria1609

I forgot to mention this earlier: the clubhouse! For keeping it well supplied and maintained.

And same for the Quiet Room for those who needed down time.