News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Christmas/New Years/Winter Break Plans 2022 edition

Started by clean, December 16, 2022, 10:38:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

poiuy

All the best for meeting your deadline, Hegemony! We are now all interested in the upholding (or whatever the opposite of downfall is) of human civilization and so are cheering you on.

I am working on the Syllabus from Hades for Spring 2023. Yes, I knew all Fall semester and could have done bits earlier but procrastination delivers immediate benefits as vs longer term uncertainties.

I need to get it done by around Jan 1st and uploaded by the early part of the first week of January, in time for classes to start. Lots of digging through readings, finding relevant links, on and on and on, right now.

hmaria1609

Morden

Quote from: hmaria1609 on December 17, 2022, 07:33:27 PM
Yesterday, Google released a list of most popular Christmas cookies by state:
https://wtop.com/local/2022/12/google-reveals-most-popular-christmas-cookies-just-in-time-for-the-holidays/
Posted on WTOP 12/16/22
Enjoy!

Gingerbread is always nice (especially if made with candied & fresh ginger), but I'm shocked that there is no shortbread on the list.

evil_physics_witchcraft

clean

In the office today.  I hope for the last time this year!
i wont finish my work, but I do hope to be done with the office.  I hope to have all of the things I need to take to my parents' house with me so that I can make the trip.
I wont make the goal of being 100% done before departure, but I am at least able to go.

Im dealing with a new text and that means a new blackboard page and exams.  What I did not know what that the old publisher was taken over and my primary contact 'left the firm'.  Ive emailed the new (temporary) person my questions and hope that they get back to me soon.  Hopefully, even if they can not do what I need done now, I wont have to revamp the class again before I retire! The last edition went for almost 4 years before I finally had to switch to the new one.  (I dont see myself working here in December 2026.  Not that I wont be, but I can not now picture it!)

I have a paper to read one last time to make sure that my edits are all done correctly, and I have to do some other 'tricks' with McGraw Hill as they no longer send the test cartriges for blackboard.  So that means more work on my end, and I dont have the time for lazy work just now. I can do it when my relatives decide to talk politics or watch 'faux news' and such.  There house is bigger than mine, so there are rooms I can hide in for a while. 

How are your plans coming along?
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

apl68

https://wtop.com/local/2022/12/google-reveals-most-popular-christmas-cookies-just-in-time-for-the-holidays/
Posted on WTOP 12/16/22
Enjoy!

So "kitchen sink" cookies are the most popular in our state?  Never heard that term before.  I had to look it up.  Variations on that recipe are definitely popular around here.  I also rather like the peanut butter blossoms that are apparently a big deal up around the Great Lakes region.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

Puget

Posted on WTOP 12/16/22
Enjoy!

There are some data cleaning issues here related to regional name variations-- "Snowballs", "Mexican Christmas cookies' and "Mexican wedding cookies" are all the same thing (the shortbread balls with nuts that are then rolled in powdered sugar). Their popularity is being masked here! (And now I really want some. .. )
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Harlow2

Getting ready to make Portuguese meringues: toasted almonds and lemon zest mixed into the egg whites. Incredibly simple and heavenly.

Finally got the last present, so time to wrap.  Son is getting a wok, so maybe just a ribbon on that one.

clean

I hope everyone stays warm and safe!

In Florida the next week, and we are hearing Falling Iguana Warnings!

(Chicken of the Tree!) 

evil_physics_witchcraft

I did not realize how easy it is to make 'fudge' in the microwave using chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk and vanilla extract (homemade). I goofed on another bit of melted chocolate- it seized since I added an extract just to the chocolate. So, it has become an impromptu 'truffle.'

clean

News had a 2 minute discussion on the Jan 6 committee recommendations.
Just sat through a 5 minute rebuttal by my brother and parents. 

Merry Christmas to all!  Good luck to everyone!   

I guess that every family has a crazy uncle and I guess that job has fallen to me!  Crazy, of course, is a relative concept (though so is 'uncle'!!) 

Parasaurolophus

I'm... pet-sitting in the US. Which is especially weird considering that we have pets of our own which need sitting. But sometimes you do something your spouse is keen on doing because they're keen on doing it. Shrug.

I plan to carve out a little more time than usual for reading fiction, and get a small pile of work done.
I know it's a genus.

hmaria1609

On my 4 day Christmas weekend from the library!
Brought home books from the library and plan to watch a Christmas movie or two on Kanopy