News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Cones on Dogs

Started by Wahoo Redux, November 06, 2023, 10:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wahoo Redux

I mean, seriously.  With all our technological achievements, this is the best we can do? 

Fortunately, I am patient and the dog is an easy animal and willing to be handfed and carried up and down the stairs.

But you should see the pure brute standing utterly flummoxed at his water dish, trying to perform an essential activity in the same spot that he has performed said activity his entire doggy life.  Every door is a collision. The grass is an automatic snag.  Jumping up on the couch is jarring confusion (which is maybe good because he is on gabapentin).

But still.  In the voice of Jerry Seinfeld (the funniest man alive), "Ladies and gentlemen, I implore you." 
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

AmLitHist

Our springer/basset pup is going to be spayed on Dec. 1, so I've started looking for alternatives to the satellite dish, which I'm sure would be a disaster for high-energy, into-everything her. We'll probably get her one like this.

I will say, though:  one of the best Halloween costumes I've ever seen was on a tall white dog in a cone, with a green ball with a dowel through it attached inside the cone.  She was dressed as a martini!

nebo113

Ah yes.  The cone of shame.  First glimpse of my current canine was on the shelter website and he was wearing the cone of shame.  He agreed to come home with me.  I am very fortunate.

Morden

I've seen dogs with the equivalent of a travel pillow around their necks. It looks more comfortable than the old lampshade style.

AvidReader

Quote from: AmLitHist on November 07, 2023, 06:40:53 AMWe'll probably get her one like this.

We use one like that for our cats, and we like it much better.

AR.

mythbuster

Our dog has surgery this summer to remove growths on her front legs and so had a cone for multiple weeks. I would take it off during meals and walks. She appreciated the dignity on the walks and was well occupied enough to not bother her incisions during these times. We did have to upgrade from a soft to a hard plastic cone, as she figured out how to invert the soft cone in about 5 minutes.

bio-nonymous

Our new dog is going to be spayed. We are going to use a "dog surgical recovery suit" instead of a collar, to avoid all the reasons above! Our vet agreed it was a good idea...

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: Morden on November 07, 2023, 08:20:25 AMI've seen dogs with the equivalent of a travel pillow around their necks. It looks more comfortable than the old lampshade style.

We just bought one of these for like $26.  I hope it works because there is no way we are getting that cone thing back on his bulbous head.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Langue_doc

I refrained from clicking on this thread yesterday because I thought that people were training their dogs to balance traffic cones on their heads. Phew!

apl68

Having your dog balance a traffic cone on his head is a neat trick. But it makes him look like something of a dunce.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.