News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

I hate having eczema

Started by Larimar, December 23, 2022, 09:59:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larimar

The cold weather has caused the eczema on my hands to flare up. The chilblains on my fingertips are quite painful. I just called the dermatologist, who said I should use a steroid cream for a week (which I don't have any of right now - I had to throw it out because it got too old) and then go back to my regular medication. I have been using the regular medication at night, and wearing gloves both to aid skin absorption to prevent the nasty, waxy, greasy stuff from getting all over the sheets and blankets or into my cats' fur if they snuggle up to me during the night. I was just told that I'm only supposed to use the gloves for 7 days, not all the time. How do I function with this stuff on my hands and no gloves, day or night?! They had no answer. I can't even just sit and read a book that way, much less work on my class prep or my writing on my computer. My original question to them was how long would I need to wear the gloves for a second dose per day of my regular medication, and I didn't get an answer to that either. Does anyone else who has eczema have any advice?

Maybe I should have put this on the venting thread. Grrr.

Larimar

Larimar

Update -I couldn't get an appointment to see the dermatologist to get a new prescription for the steroid cream until January 31! Looks like I'm going to have to get used to cracked, painful, occasionally bloody skin until then.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Sorry to hear it, Larimar. That really sucks. Can't they do some kind of emergency script? We don't have eczema, but I can get cracked heels that hurt like hell if I don't keep on top of them. SO gets dry skin that cracks, but not as bad as mine. My only suggestion, which it seems like you've done, is to use Eucerin and then wear socks (gloves for you) to keep the lotion/cream from getting all over things.

fleabite

Just standard-issue dry skin in cold weather here. But until you can get a steroid cream, perhaps you could try Vaseline at night? It is greasy, so you would need to wear gloves to bed, but I find it far more effective for dry and cracked skin than any hand cream.

Morden

I have eczema on my hands. If you can't get the prescription, you could try some over-the-counter eczema treatment. I've used Polysporin Eczema essentials with 1% hydrocortisone--it's better than nothing.
I've also found that a regular bandaid around a joint that has split open will help.

Larimar

Thank you, epw, fleabite, and Morden. I will definitely be looking into these options!

Liquidambar

Quote from: Larimar on December 23, 2022, 11:15:07 AM
Update -I couldn't get an appointment to see the dermatologist to get a new prescription for the steroid cream until January 31! Looks like I'm going to have to get used to cracked, painful, occasionally bloody skin until then.

Oh no, that stinks!  Would any random steroid cream work?  I was prescribed one for itching that was put on auto-refill even though I only needed one tube.  I could probably send you a tube if you thought it would help (and if you'd trust a stranger from the internet).
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

jimbogumbo

Quote from: Larimar on December 23, 2022, 09:59:24 AM
The chilblains on my fingertips are quite painful.

Larimar

Larimar, I just started getting these. Two big flares in the last year. May I ask what your doc prescribes (if anything) for these?

AmLitHist

I swear by A&D diaper rash cream for dry skin. I'm diabetic and have spent way too much on the expensive OTC "diabetic" creams that don't do much; I had part of a tube of the generic A&D (don't use the kind with zinc--at least for me, it breaks me out) so slathered that on thick one night, then put on two pairs of old socks.  Works a charm, and it's cheap (though it's not the best smelling stuff).  I buy the 1-pound jar on Amazon now for about $8, rather than the small $6 tubes.  It's worth a try, and it doesn't hurt anything--just vitamins A & D.  (It's also good for cuts, a thin coat for really chapped lips, etc.)

Larimar

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate it.

My hands are actually a little bit better right now; I've continued to use my usual prescription, which is eucrisa, plus a eucerin equivalent cream, because that's what I've got in the house. At least the chilblains are healing fast and no bleeding right now. Maybe the flareup isn't as big as I thought at first. Crossing my fingers on that. Haven't been able to get to the pharmacy yet to look into the other suggestions, but have in mind to do so in the next few days. Thank you for your help.

apl68

Glad you've seen some improvement, Larimar.

Been having a bit of eczema trouble myself lately.  Very annoying.  The Reynaud's Syndrome in my fingers has been surprisingly quiet in these days of low winter temperatures.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all