News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What's your fantasy side business

Started by lightning, December 27, 2022, 08:46:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightning

The B&N thread and Para's comment about opening a used bookstore made me think about my own fantasy side business, which is a bakery/live straight-ahead jazz venue. Every time I get halfway serious about it, I confront the numbers, and those numbers tell me that breaking even would be a challenge and that I would only do it as a vanity project, unless I want to charge $9.99 for a basic croissant, and the market around here simply can't bear that. I've known people (outside of academe) who have opened bars for the sole purpose of being a live venue for music that they like, and they are fine with losing money on the endeavor.

What's your fantasy side business?

Liquidambar

Running a bed and breakfast.  I know I don't really want to run a B&B, but I wish I could plan menus for a B&B.  I'm obsessed with breakfast recipes.
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

Istiblennius

I have given this a lot of thought, and while I don't believe it would be sustainable, I'd want to run a fiber arts craft co-op, where people can come and purchase new supplies and could also bring unused or gently used supplies (think patterns or no-longer needed kits, canvases or fibers) to sell on consignment. There would also be classes and clubs. Maybe a bar.

Wahoo Redux

Welder.  If I hadn't gotten into grad school I was going to find a trade.  Welding always seemed really cool to me.  I still think it is cool. 
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

lightning

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on December 27, 2022, 11:32:19 AM
Welder.  If I hadn't gotten into grad school I was going to find a trade.  Welding always seemed really cool to me.  I still think it is cool.

Pyro is fun.

dismalist

Run a short-line railroad. If I couldn't be CEO, I could always be train driver.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

secundem_artem

Doing program evaluation for grant funded NGO's who need to send reports back to their funding agencies.

Either that or chief of secret police.  I got some people whose door I want to knock on in the middle of the night.  Just gotta get a black bag and I'm ready to go.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

Wahoo Redux

My deepest fantasy, however, is to be a rock star in a band like Led Zeppelin or Queen that does a lots of cross-over stuff.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Lately, I've wanted to start a plant business and maybe have apiaries. Or, I could be a spy...

sinenomine

"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

AvidReader

I also want to learn welding and keep eyeing classes at the local community college!

AR.

Morden

Quote from: AvidReader on December 27, 2022, 07:57:22 PM

I also want to learn welding and keep eyeing classes at the local community college!

AR.

SO did an intro to welding class a couple years ago. After a couple introductory lessons, they each welded two kits, so we have a T-Rex and Pterodactyl in our garden.

AvidReader

Quote from: Morden on December 28, 2022, 08:09:54 AM
SO did an intro to welding class a couple years ago. After a couple introductory lessons, they each welded two kits, so we have a T-Rex and Pterodactyl in our garden.

That sounds amazing. Maybe I'll bite the bullet this year!

AR.

Myword

High priced free lance writer.

Library consultant

Ruralguy

i already am a high priced free lance writer. Unfortunately, only pne person pays the price, and its me.