News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What's your fantasy side business

Started by lightning, December 27, 2022, 08:46:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funastrum

Quote from: apl68 on January 03, 2023, 08:24:35 AM
I'd like to be a published novelist.  I've written several works that I believe have reached the point of being publishable.  But I don't know that there's a commercially-viable market for them.  And I don't have much idea how to go about self-publishing online as a last resort to get my work out there.

I also have this fantasy.  I have written 10 or so novels.  I spoke to an agent but he said my work is unlikely to be "commercially-viable" as you style it.  I cannot stop writing them so if you come up with a solution let me know.  Maybe mine can be used by companies instead of ipsum lorem or instead of random patterns for birdcage liners.  Nonetheless, it remains a pleasant fantasy.

dismalist

Quote from: little bongo on January 03, 2023, 08:11:47 AM
Ice road trucker. Or perhaps train engineer. Although my tendency to fall asleep at inopportune times might be a disadvantage.

No worries: Railway locomotives are equipped with a so-called "dead man's switch". If you are incapacitated and can't activate the switch every so-and-so many seconds, the locomotive is automatically brought to a stop.

Falling asleep, therefore, is only a career breaker once! :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Anselm

Quote from: Funastrum on January 03, 2023, 11:43:12 AM
I'd like to be a published novelist.  I've written several works that I believe have reached the point of being publishable.  But I don't know that there's a commercially-viable market for them.  And I don't have much idea how to go about self-publishing online as a last resort to get my work out there.

I also have this fantasy.  I have written 10 or so novels.  I spoke to an agent but he said my work is unlikely to be "commercially-viable" as you style it.  I cannot stop writing them so if you come up with a solution let me know.  Maybe mine can be used by companies instead of ipsum lorem or instead of random patterns for birdcage liners.  Nonetheless, it remains a pleasant fantasy.

Can't you self-publish with Amazon Kindle?

Regarding trains, I have met two train engineers and both of them had been in accidents.

My fantasy is to have multiple revenue streams with activities like online retailing, tutoring, AirBnB and gardening.   
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: Anselm on January 04, 2023, 10:52:30 AM
Quote from: Funastrum on January 03, 2023, 11:43:12 AM

Can't you self-publish with Amazon Kindle?

Regarding trains, I have met two train engineers and both of them had been in accidents.

My fantasy is to have multiple revenue streams with activities like online retailing, tutoring, AirBnB and gardening.

Self-publishing is going through a renaissance.  I am considering skipping the whole agent hunt myself. 

And remember that Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone went through something like 50 agents before breaking all book sales records since Lord of the Rings. 
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Ruralguy

The average book can probably make more money via self publishing. But that's because the average book just doesn't sell much at all. However, I'd be surprised if you could break 1,000 copies a year through self publishing, and that would be a nice clip! Maybe it has more promise, but I kind of doubt it.

paultuttle

Alternate fantasy side business: writing LGBTQ-themed Hallmark movie scripts.

lightning

Quote from: paultuttle on January 05, 2023, 01:17:47 PM
Alternate fantasy side business: writing LGBTQ-themed Hallmark movie scripts.

I would watch that Hallmark movie!

Bbmaj7b5

Fixing and building guitar amplifiers.

This fantasy side line brought to you by a need for a valve amp repair and no repair shops in a 100 mile radius.