News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

New Year's Eve Plans? 2022-2023

Started by clean, December 28, 2022, 07:58:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clean

It is almost New Year's Eve.  What are your plans?

We are at my parents' house in rural florida.  We will be staying inside for sure. It seems that the typical celebration in this area of the state includes shooting into the air.  In Florida, it seems that bullets only go up, but having had too much education, I am in danger of being on the other side of the trajectory, since I believe that bullets fall, and are just as dangerous on the downrange side.

Before that, there are some tasks that my employer seems to think must be completed before the end of the year, so that will be on tap for the next 2 days.  Not today, though. My niece and nephew and their 3 and 1 1/2 year olds got up early today to go back home. 

When the evening turns, what traditions will you and your family partake?  (eating grapes, eating black eyed peas...?)

"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Sun_Worshiper

No plans at the moment, but my wife keeps suggesting that we have people over for NYE, so that is a possibility. I'm quietly hoping she changes her mind or decides it is too late to pull together a small party.

sinenomine

I'm doing a favor for a friend and staying at her house to take care of her dog, cat, and horse. There's no TV there, so the dog and I will be listening to college bowl games on AM radio.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

Harlow2

Dinner with a friend, and then back home.  We'll be out early on NY Day for a family event that is a bit of a drive.

apl68

Sleep until midnight, when I will most likely be awakened by the sound of fireworks and celebratory horn honking.  Then back to sleep (hopefully), to awaken to a morning walk and Sunday's church services. 

Weather permitting, I hope to drive to a state park in the region and hike on Monday, while we're closed at work.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

evil_physics_witchcraft

We'll probably stay in too. Maybe we'll make some little snacky things to eat and watch the ball drop. Oh, and listen to people shoot fireworks AND guns. What is it with firing guns into the air out here?

lightning

Due to an unforeseen weather-related IT meltdown of a major airline (I'm looking at you SWA), I'm forgoing a previously-planned NYE trip.

The thought of doing nothing has actually been kind of awesome.

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

poiuy

Great to hear from you Mamselle, however briefly.
Hope you are feeling comfortable.  Any updates you care to share?

Here too, NYE will be just like any other day. No special plans. Thank heavens no travel.

The working year starts on Monday January 2nd, so getting in gear for that.

hmaria1609

Good to hear from you, Mamselle!  :)

I've got a 3 day weekend for New Year's.  I usually don't work Fridays but had to work today.  Patrons have been coming and going, a few of the regulars are on the public computers.

I plan to enjoy some reading and watch a Christmas themed movie on Kanopy.  Hearing fireworks at midnight in town.

ciao_yall

Staying at the airport hotel NYE to fly out to Hawaii the next day. Husband is super happy about our runway view.

Juvenal

COVID in a household has shrunken the New Year's Eve gathering and New Year's Day feasting to a brief assembly on a porch on Sunday for champagne and nibbles.  "Luckily" the weather is predicted to be more temperate than usual around here.
Cranky septuagenarian

Larimar

Thursday's_Child

Happy New Year!

As usual, I enjoyed the neighborhood fireworks for a while, then went to bed early.