News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Ex Australiae semper aliquid novi?

Started by Juvenal, July 12, 2019, 02:18:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juvenal

Live and learn.  After decades of reading it's always possible to "learn a new word" casually dropped into an extended piece of prose, dropped in with no warning, and the text moves on.  Today's entry, from a non-fiction library book: "furphy," and the plural, "furphies."

No, I won't tell you what it means; you have to look it up yourself, but I will say there's a Wikipedia entry about it.  A lot of backstory.  And pictures, too!  If you live in Canberra, Perth, or Melbourne, or hang out on the Nullarbor Plain, probably it's on your lips every day.  I doubt (very strongly) I'll ever find need to use it, nor am I likely (considering my age) to run across it again, having no plans to ramble in the Antipodes.  Still, it kinda warmed my cockles to add something to my word hoard.

So, what's the latest "new word" you had never heard of before, run across in your reading?  And no techni-terms allowed.
Cranky septuagenarian

polly_mer

Quote from: Juvenal on July 12, 2019, 02:18:33 PM
So, what's the latest "new word" you had never heard of before, run across in your reading?

Jeopardy!  had "emend" as an answer recently (https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/emend).
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!