News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

PSA: Phones for the elderly & tech challenged

Started by mystictechgal, January 03, 2023, 06:21:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mystictechgal

Since my return, I've been poking about a bit and found one of my last posts was on Venting about my then 96yo friend who'd broken his newly replaced hip. He's still alive and living independently after coming through that, a replacement of his other hip, and a second broken neck. He'll turn 100 this Feb. and I picked him up and dropped him off to have his weekly lunch with the ROMEOs (Retired Old Men Eating Out) this morning.

I've spent a lot of time taking him places and trying to help him with technology in the past few years - one of the reason's I haven't returned to teaching with COVID being such a risk. At any rate, this is a man who started two companies - both still in business, one of which has an international reputation. He's not stupid, and he's used computers & smartphones since their inception. But, things get increasingly more complicated , his hearing is diminished, and he can't see worth a damn. He's got a 55" computer monitor and he still has problems. Plus, he's starting to forget. So, his smartphone was becoming a problem.

At his age his skin doesn't have enough moisture to reliably trigger a smart screen. He can't see the on-screen buttons to answer/end calls, etc., he can't hear it ring. Anyone dealing with someone older knows the issues. While the issues are all on the user end, he, of course, blames the phone. So, he wanted a new one.

I took him to Verizon and skipped their whole "we'll see what kind of upgrades he's eligible for" spiel. They'd earlier tried to tell him that his problems were all due to his 3yo smartphone being outdated and got him prepped to spend ~$1200 on a new smartphone set up. BS! A new smartphone wasn't going to help him in the least.

Instead, I had him buy a Kyocera Dura XV Extreme. $240. It's a flip phone. With actual buttons so he can feel where they are. The Verizon dude didn't know much about it. That's a mistake. They're missing a terrific market, because this phone is absolutely phenomenal for people like him.

It's made to be used in a business - one of a battery of phones you might send out into the field with your employees. Used that way, it even works as a walkie-talkie. Stand-alone? Because it's designed to use in the field, the ringer can be set louder than any phone I've ever seen. When he opens it, it answers. When he closes it, it hangs up. All of his Contacts transferred and I disassociated it from his Contacts on his iPad and computer. That way he still has all of his passwords, etc. that he stored there available on those devices, but not on his phone, so I can leave the phone unlocked without compromising anything. The only things in phone Contacts are people/businesses/doctors he calls regularly. His primary contacts - his kids and I - are on speed dial setting so it's just 1 button push. For everyone else he pushes the microphone button, tells the phone to call So-and-so, the phone confirms and makes the call. No reading necessary. Voice mail is either speed dial 1 or *86, just as it's always been.

If he could handle it, the phone also has the ability to send/receive texts, has a camera (still & video), web browser, an FM radio, flashlight, calculator, etc., and pretty much does everything a smartphone can do except load a bunch of apps. Plus, I can set the fonts to be super large, reverse the colors, and control the pitch, tone, and speed of the computerized voice that prompts him through the menus. On top of all that, he can drop the thing onto concrete from 5' or drop it into the shallow end of a pool and it's fine.

It's been an absolute success, and if any of you have elderly friends or family members, I strongly suggest you check it out. Now that he's shown it to his friends, I suspect the nearby Verizon store is going to be surprised by how many they're about to sell.

But, Verizon is never going to steer you toward it. I'd never heard of it until I saw it on their sales floor & looked it up while I waited for them to help us. They only advertise it as a "business option", and they've spent no time learning its capabilities. It's too cheap & the margins aren't large enough for the salespeople to care. But, it exists, and it is a game changer for folks like him - even though that's not their target market. I can not recommend it highly enough. Maybe knowing that will help someone else.

poiuy

Thank you so much MTG, for that comprehensive description. This phone model sounds like it would be tremendously helpful for many people.
It's a pity that Verizon seems oblivious to the sales potential of this phone for the exploding grey market. But now I know, I will keep it in mind.

Cheerful

Thanks for sharing your detailed endorsement of this phone, mystictechgal.  What a bargain at $240 in the current smartphone marketplace.  Sounds perfect for seniors/others who would appreciate the features you outlined.  A senior I know recently said they'd like something simpler and easier to use than the trendy smartphone they have now.

Your friend is fortunate to have you generously helping him.

ab_grp

This is really helpful information, MTG.  Thank you! I agree, your friend is lucky to have you helping.  I've had such a hard time finding a non-smart cellphone that my mother feels comfortable using.  Thanks for sharing the results of all your hard work.

paultuttle