News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Town and Gown, flipped on it's head

Started by jimbogumbo, January 10, 2023, 08:03:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nebo113

Interesting.  I live in a rural area with a small 4 year public college, which wouldn't know "town" if it bit them on the ankle.

Liquidambar

I love this.  It reminds me of the synergy that ideally exists between community colleges and their communities, except the private colleges have more flexibility and resources so can do more.
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

nebo113

Quote from: Liquidambar on January 10, 2023, 08:58:59 AM
I love this.  It reminds me of the synergy that ideally exists between community colleges and their communities, except the private colleges have more flexibility and resources so can do more.

Our local CC is much more involved in the community than the 4 yr. Public.

ciao_yall

Legally, it would be impossible for a public college to use its funds the way these private colleges are using theirs. $1.25 million to light an off-campus street? Invest in an off-campus neighborhood? Favor one community area over another?

I'm even wondering about the propriety of the private college in these cases. Any Trustee conflicts of interest?