News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Computer hacker question

Started by nebo113, January 10, 2023, 08:19:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nebo113

My mother had a Google chromebook for 5 years.  Liked it and no trouble.  Became "obsolete " so I replaced it with another Google chromebook last month.

Twice within the past 10 days, she got a pop up (I think) that purported to be from Microsoft saying she's been hacked and to call this number.  Mother is 94 and though she has always been pretty savvy, she was tired, uncertain, and....... she called.  I got that straightened out.  Within a few days, she got the same message....and called me (several hours away).  Did not get it straightened out, so she went back to old chromebook, with clear instructions as to what to do if it happens again.  However, it very much will unsettle her if it happens again.

My question:  Why is this happening and what can I do to stop it.  I made an trip up there the first time, and will make a return trip in a week or so, when I will reset the new chromebook to factory settings.

Thoughts?

downer

That's very odd to get a virus on a Chromebook. I don't think the computer was necessarily hacked.

I've had Chromebooks for several years and I've been uncautious about potentially risky websites, but never had any trouble with viruses.

I'd guess it comes from email. Maybe increase the level of safety on Chrome browser.
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/9890866?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

nebo113

Thanks.  Computer guy says true hacking is almost impossible on Chromebook.  Mother swears it wasn't email.  I will definitely increase security.  Thanks for the link.

It was odd.  I think the real danger was the phone calls she got involved in with the scammer.  I called, asked to speak to his supervisor; he said no and hung up.  Number out of service the next day.  Mother used to be a bit more skeptical, though always assuming the best.

EdnaMode

I'd also make sure that pop-ups are blocked in her browser and add something like adblock plus (or whatever your favorite ad blocker is) so it will cut out a lot of the garbage. I've done that for some of my older friends and relatives so they won't get suckered in by some of the really well done scam sites/ads. There are some sites that get upset with the adblockers and won't let you access them if they're turned on. And one site I use for work I've had to disable the popup blocker on, but for me it does cut out a lot of the garbage that appears.
I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.

clean

I think that I got a similar message last month!  It was not an email!
Im not sure how I got it.  It scared me too.
Too bad for the bad guys though, I didnt follow directions.
I had only recently had my computer returned from repair (replacing the hard drive!)  So everything was backed up, and I had backed up again only the day before.  I grabbed another computer and searched to see what I could find. 
One of the things that I did find on the Microsoft site was a phone number that did not match the one on the screen.

The instructions were adamant NOT to turn off the computer.  Well, I had everything backed up and nothing to lose!  IF I had a real microsoft problem, given the issues that I had already been through with this particular device, I was already prepared to buy a new computer!  So I had nothing to lose and turned it off.  It cleared the problem and didnt return.  I have scanned for viruses and all seems well.   I ran several self diagnosis on HP software and the computer's own diagnostics programs.  All was well, and has been every since.

The phone number issue was the bottom line to help me decide to ignore the instructions.  The warning, which I dont exactly remember now, was heavy on CALL US NOW, and would not let me close that window pop up, and had heavy "DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER", but I didnt want to talk to anyone, and as I said, had nothing to lose by turning it off.  Seems to have been the right decision!

But ... Another reminder to back up your computers regularly! 

On preview, EdnaMode has indicated a pop up. I do think that was how it came in!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

nebo113

I talked with a friend whose mother was scammed and lost considerable $.  Apparently, the "you have been hacked" is the lure.  The real scam is done during the phone call/s.  Thanks for all your suggestions.  I will apply them to her new chromebook (she continues to use the old one) when I see her in a few weeks.