News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Protecting forumites' right to anonymity and privacy

Started by Langue_doc, January 15, 2023, 08:46:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

What are our policies on protecting our right to anonymity after death? Forumites post here under the assumption that their comments regarding families, friends, colleagues, chairs, and institutions, just to name a few, are protected by their right to confidentiality.

I would like to suggest that we let our deceased colleagues rest in peace, and not rationalize exposing their identities.

QuoteI know we are not supposed to reveal the real names of forumites here, but if someone could remind me of the guidelines about sharing information (such as the link to her obituary) after someone has passed, I would be grateful for that.

I doubt if mamselle would want her identity to be made public despite using her real name when communicating with many of us through PMs, especially because she knew that her passing was a mere matter of months. I also recall that there were relatives that she disagreed with and hence would not have wanted her identity made public.

Forumites who have complained about their colleagues, admincritters, and their institutions would likewise not want to be outed after their death.

Moderators, could we decide that unless we have explicitly given permission to be outed after our death, our identities should be kept confidential? 

nebo113

Ruralguy

I think that makes sense. I can say that I don't care what happens to my identity after death. Only a couple of forumites know who I am, and even fewer care! So, if it got out, big deal. But in general, yes, continue anonymity after death.

fishbrains

Yes to anonymity. I don't want people to wonder, "Was he talking about me in that post from 3 years ago?"
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

ciao_yall

I am just fine being outed - I'm not very careful about keeping anonymous anyway.

Caracal

Quote from: fishbrains on January 16, 2023, 08:26:35 AM
Yes to anonymity. I don't want people to wonder, "Was he talking about me in that post from 3 years ago?"

Yes, although you can never really rely on anonymity. I wouldn't post on here if everything I wrote showed up in a google search for me, but at the same time I don't post anything that I absolutely wouldn't want to be linked to me.

downer

Aside from the abstract right to anonymity, what is being proposed? What rules should the The Fora moderator adopt? Deleting posts that out members? Warnings or explusions for those who violate the right?

I tend to think that those who really don't want to be outed shouldn't reveal their identity to anyone they don't completely trust. I'm not sure where any supposed "right" comes from. But it makes sense for the purpose of people feeling free to discuss sensitive issues here that there should be a general expectation that identities will not be revealed.

As we saw with the old fora, we don't have much control over what happens with the info we post here. Right now, there's one person who owns the site, and I don't think we have much info about that person. I'm not saying we should be worried about that person, just that it is all built on trust. It's also worth bearing in mind that the whole future of the site is far from assured. The internet is a wild west.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Ruralguy

I believe we've all agreed to keep ourselves and others anonymous. So, its not a fundamental right, but just something we agreed to. Yes, I am sure people who cared could probably figure out who a few of us are. But nonetheless, we've greed to what we've agreed to.

larryc

I guess I agree, Forumites should not be outed on either side of the mortal veil.

bacardiandlime

As I noted on the other thread, when a member passed once before, a relative of theirs came on (using their account) to announce the death, and shared their real name. Letting a loved one know what to do with your online accounts is probably wise.

Bbmaj7b5

We had a similar discussion on the old Fora, and I think the outcome there was as it is here - respect privacy unless the expectation to it was explicitly waived.

Caracal

Quote from: Ruralguy on January 16, 2023, 01:42:45 PM
I believe we've all agreed to keep ourselves and others anonymous. So, its not a fundamental right, but just something we agreed to. Yes, I am sure people who cared could probably figure out who a few of us are. But nonetheless, we've greed to what we've agreed to.

The basic rule I try to follow is that I don't want to post anything on here that I would never want linked to me. I wouldn't want my posts to show up in a google search for my name and if they did, I wouldn't post here, but I also wouldn't want to write something that could cause anything more than embarrassment for me.

lightning

Quote from: Caracal on January 17, 2023, 06:43:12 AM
The basic rule I try to follow is that I don't want to post anything on here that I would never want linked to me. I wouldn't want my posts to show up in a google search for my name and if they did, I wouldn't post here, but I also wouldn't want to write something that could cause anything more than embarrassment for me.

I never specifically mention conferences that I attend or have attended (especially ones where I am a presenter) and specific societies of which I am a member, nor do I mention any of my publication or grant outlets.  If I gave out any of this info, it would make it easier for bored nosy busybodies to figure out who I am. So, I don't. People that do, well, it's not that tough to figure out who they are.

bio-nonymous

Quote from: lightning on January 17, 2023, 07:04:32 AM

Quote from: Caracal on January 17, 2023, 06:43:12 AM

I never specifically mention conferences that I attend or have attended (especially ones where I am a presenter) and specific societies of which I am a member, nor do I mention any of my publication or grant outlets.  If I gave out any of this info, it would make it easier for bored nosy busybodies to figure out who I am. So, I don't. People that do, well, it's not that tough to figure out who they are.

Yes! I think being anonymous is also our responsibility to filter what we share here, because going into too many specifics will allow someone who cares to to sleuth out identities. I am sometimes surprised at the level of detail some forumites go into--thinking that if they were in my circle I would be able to identify who they are by their posts. However, I also acknowledge that for some, anonymity is of less a concern. Anonymity in life and beyond, I say...

kaysixteen

Let's not get paranoid or self-important.   If one reveals enough personalia to alllow someone to suss out one's ID, that is one's problem.  I actually had a guy on the old fora PM me once, address me by my proper name, and criticize me for something I had done.   I did not know him and asked him how he (correctly) had ascertained my identity.   He told me he had taken various things I had said and done some googling, essentially.   Ah well.   Truth is, I will share my ID here with anyone who asks, provided it is a two-way street...