News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Protecting forumites' right to anonymity and privacy

Started by Langue_doc, January 15, 2023, 08:46:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

The concern is that one's identity is disclosed without the forumite's permission. This is an anonymous forum, so the expectation is that the moderators would remove all identifying information if such information were posted by someone other than the forumite.

As for the forumite whose identity was revealed by her son, I recall that the forumite would post rather negative comments about the son. It wasn't clear from the son's posts if he had read those comments, but this again would be a good reason not to out deceased forumites to their families or colleagues.

QuoteLet's not get paranoid or self-important.

Forumites who expect their identities to be kept confidential are neither paranoid or self-important, but are merely pointing out that The Fora claims to be an anonymous forum and as such there is an expectation of privacy.

Bbmaj7b5

Quote from: kaysixteen on January 19, 2023, 10:22:35 PM
I did not know him and asked him how he (correctly) had ascertained my identity.   He told me he had taken various things I had said and done some googling, essentially.   

Apparently we are regularly underestimating the time one might have on one's hands.

fishbrains

Quote from: Langue_doc on January 20, 2023, 05:13:18 AM
The concern is that one's identity is disclosed without the forumite's permission. This is an anonymous forum, so the expectation is that the moderators would remove all identifying information if such information were posted by someone other than the forumite.

As for the forumite whose identity was revealed by her son, I recall that the forumite would post rather negative comments about the son. It wasn't clear from the son's posts if he had read those comments, but this again would be a good reason not to out deceased forumites to their families or colleagues.

QuoteLet's not get paranoid or self-important.

Forumites who expect their identities to be kept confidential are neither paranoid or self-important, but are merely pointing out that The Fora claims to be an anonymous forum and as such there is an expectation of privacy.

Yes.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

kaysixteen

Ok, but similar to copyright, shouldn't anonymity at some point after death go by the wayside, at least when/ if scholars come to look at fora such as these?