News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Philosophy reimagined?

Started by jimbogumbo, June 12, 2023, 01:41:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

I don't have much to say, save that I hadn't heard about this book, and it sounds interesting. I'm no scholar of ancient philosophy, but I wouldn't have guessed there was enough extant material out there to fuel much of a biography (or, indeed, much of a sideways look at Diogenes, anecdotes of whom are always fun).
I know it's a genus.

Diogenes

Myword

Same here. Not much I already knew.

Any biography of Plato will be promise, not substance because so very little is known.
An impossible task to describe the man's life.and comparing Plato to Diogenes (who sounds like a nut) is superfluous and unwise. Maybe the author has disparaging motives? I won't read it.

I remember that Plato is said to love olives at a buffet. Me, too.

jimbogumbo

Quote from: Myword on June 19, 2023, 10:13:00 AMSame here. Not much I already knew.

Any biography of Plato will be promise, not substance because so very little is known.
An impossible task to describe the man's life.and comparing Plato to Diogenes (who sounds like a nut) is superfluous and unwise. Maybe the author has disparaging motives? I won't read it.

I remember that Plato is said to love olives at a buffet. Me, too.

I think it is actually describing two different books, one about Plato and one about Diogenes. I'm certainly not going to read either with now tiny attention span.

downer

I am rather partial to Diogenes of Sinope. He sounds like a big character, and he had a much more interesting life than Plato.

I imagine that much of the book is about the tradition of Cynicism as well as lots of speculation.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis