News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Useful Computer Shortcuts

Started by polly_mer, July 14, 2019, 11:20:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

polly_mer

I was reading just now and learned that command + shift + t will reopen the last tab in my browser (control + shift + t for Windows folks).  No more trying to find it in my history menu for that D'oh! moment.

Any not-obvious computer shortcuts you've come across recently that might help us all be more productive?
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

clean

highlight  Control c to copy
Control v to paste.

Control p to bring up print commands

the ever favorite and too often used, Control Alt Delete  !!

Control z to unto the last command. (very useful when the laptop somehow interprets some command to delete because of the way my hand is resting on the base).

If editing, highlight and Control b will make it bold.

I think that is about the limit of my fast command knowledge.
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Juvenal

This is Mac:

"command," "shift," "4" [simultaneously] for ease at taking a screen shot--first position cursor where you want to start the screen shot, then you get a reticle that you can drag across what you want a screen shot of; once outlined, then click the mouse.  Saves to desktop.
Cranky septuagenarian

monarda

In Microsoft Office products, command Y to do the same command you just did over again.

When I do this command (often) I say to myself, "yup", "yup", "yup" with each command Y.

Also, hold down option while selecting will allow you to select a single column, in cases when using the mouse selects the whole table, not just the column you want.

aside

Handy when reading the fora, to return to top of page:

Control + up arrow [pc]
Command + up arrow [mac]
Double tap at top of screen [iPhone]

Conjugate

Quote from: clean on July 14, 2019, 03:06:58 PM
highlight  Control c to copy
Control v to paste.

Control p to bring up print commands

the ever favorite and too often used, Control Alt Delete  !!

Control z to unto the last command. (very useful when the laptop somehow interprets some command to delete because of the way my hand is resting on the base).

If editing, highlight and Control b will make it bold.

I think that is about the limit of my fast command knowledge.

Also, Ctrl-Y to re-do the last undo (Windows machines).

I find it useful to know (and have memorized) some of the shortcuts for extended characters in Windows.  Here is a list of shortcuts for Windows.  Notice that these require a numeric keypad!

For other Unicode characters, it is a little tougher.

In a few applications, you can enter a 2- to 5-digit hex code, immediately follow it by Alt+x, and it will be converted to Unicode.  Thus, 2A37 becomes ⨷. But those applications are mostly word processors; the editor for the fora, for instance, won't do this.

∀ε>0∃δ>0∋|x–a|<δ⇒|ƒ(x)-ƒ(a)|<ε

secondAuthor

Check out
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_keyboard_shortcuts
for more

Wikipedia contributors. (2019, July 16). Table of keyboard shortcuts. In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 22:44, July 18, 2019, from https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Table_of_keyboard_shortcuts&oldid=906478734

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.