News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Another Seuss Cancellation Thread (Summer 2023)

Started by Parasaurolophus, June 21, 2023, 03:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dismalist

Quote from: RatGuy on February 17, 2024, 11:00:47 AMMy read on the situation is that someone at the school is nervous (justifiably or not) about violating FL regulations regarding AfAm history/literature. If the school didn't explain who and what was going on at the event, then someone was afraid they be reprisals after the fact

Not someone, everyone. This is the nature of bureaucracy. A bunch of small, scared people.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Wahoo Redux

Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Diogenes

University of Austin is so brave lol (original site is down today due to massive traffic-here's the archive.org link) https://archive.is/NFgCq#selection-411.3-421.0 

marshwiggle

Quote from: Diogenes on February 19, 2024, 06:34:45 PMUniversity of Austin is so brave lol (original site is down today due to massive traffic-here's the archive.org link) https://archive.is/NFgCq#selection-411.3-421.0 

The article drips with sarcasm, but I gave up  before I found any suppression of speech. Was there some?

All I could find was the author being offended at the politics of speakers there.
It takes so little to be above average.

dismalist

The US of A has 3500+ colleges and universities. That's just like 3500+ hamburger joints, each serving a different type of hamburger. Along comes another hamburger joint, so now we're at 3501+, that puts vinegar on its fries, and some people go into fits of laughter, criticism of the decor, and what not. One doesn't have to send one's kids there. This is a non-issue.

Looks like nobody likes competition.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Diogenes

Quote from: marshwiggle on February 20, 2024, 01:06:14 PM
Quote from: Diogenes on February 19, 2024, 06:34:45 PMUniversity of Austin is so brave lol (original site is down today due to massive traffic-here's the archive.org link) https://archive.is/NFgCq#selection-411.3-421.0 

The article drips with sarcasm, but I gave up  before I found any suppression of speech. Was there some?

All I could find was the author being offended at the politics of speakers there.

Do your homework and read the whole thing, then I'll respond.

Diogenes

Quote from: dismalist on February 20, 2024, 02:00:56 PMThe US of A has 3500+ colleges and universities. That's just like 3500+ hamburger joints, each serving a different type of hamburger. Along comes another hamburger joint, so now we're at 3501+, that puts vinegar on its fries, and some people go into fits of laughter, criticism of the decor, and what not. One doesn't have to send one's kids there. This is a non-issue.

I should have made it more clear by putting "University" in quotes. Maybe they'll sell these kids a bridge next...

dismalist

Quote from: Diogenes on February 20, 2024, 02:19:38 PM
Quote from: dismalist on February 20, 2024, 02:00:56 PMThe US of A has 3500+ colleges and universities. That's just like 3500+ hamburger joints, each serving a different type of hamburger. Along comes another hamburger joint, so now we're at 3501+, that puts vinegar on its fries, and some people go into fits of laughter, criticism of the decor, and what not. One doesn't have to send one's kids there. This is a non-issue.

I should have made it more clear by putting "University" in quotes. Maybe they'll sell these kids a bridge next...

Many colleges already do sell bridges! One more college may mean a better bridge. :-)

There's nothing to be afraid of -- unless the bridge is really better. We shall see.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

marshwiggle

Quote from: Diogenes on February 20, 2024, 02:18:30 PM
Quote from: marshwiggle on February 20, 2024, 01:06:14 PM

Do your homework and read the whole thing, then I'll respond.

OK, I slogged through to the end. Here's a typical section.
QuoteSurveying the political field without venturing a step, endlessly weighing both sides, taking it all in with tranquility—this is an agreeable position. It allows banal contrarianism to masquerade as enlightened equanimity. Take, for example, a question Roiphe likes to contemplate in her writing and teaching. Is he at fault, because he assaulted her, or is she, because she drank too much and passed out? To refuse to decide on that question is, in effect, to allow the consequences of the second interpretation—exoneration—to unfold. What such heroic indecision often amounts to, in practice, is a craven reaffirmation of the powers that be.

He just can't believe that the standard social justice framing of everything would ever be challenged by anyone publicly. That's pretty much his whole message.

jimbogumbo

Quote from: dismalist on February 17, 2024, 11:45:44 AM
Quote from: RatGuy on February 17, 2024, 11:00:47 AMMy read on the situation is that someone at the school is nervous (justifiably or not) about violating FL regulations regarding AfAm history/literature. If the school didn't explain who and what was going on at the event, then someone was afraid they be reprisals after the fact

Not someone, everyone. This is the nature of bureaucracy. A bunch of small, scared people.

dismalist: honest question. If you were the Principal or a School Board member, which law would you break? Despite the protests of the Florida Education czar it truly looks to me like the school has to break one.

Note: as a teacher I'd certainly choose to obey the FL law as written. That's the one that can get me fired in this case.

jimbogumbo

Actually I was too kind. The czar says you don't need to send a permission slip for subjects that are required by law, but a separate law says the teacher HAS to get permission if a student might be offended. That puts the teacher imho between the proverbial rock and hard place.

dismalist

Quote from: jimbogumbo on February 20, 2024, 07:47:08 PM
Quote from: dismalist on February 17, 2024, 11:45:44 AM

dismalist: honest question. If you were the Principal or a School Board member, which law would you break? Despite the protests of the Florida Education czar it truly looks to me like the school has to break one.

Note: as a teacher I'd certainly choose to obey the FL law as written. That's the one that can get me fired in this case.

All of them, jimbo, all of them! :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

marshwiggle

Quote from: jimbogumbo on February 20, 2024, 07:52:32 PMActually I was too kind. The czar says you don't need to send a permission slip for subjects that are required by law, but a separate law says the teacher HAS to get permission if a student might be offended. That puts the teacher imho between the proverbial rock and hard place.

That's brilliant, using the language used by progressives of "offense", which pretty much means everyone has a Sword of Damocles over them about anything. Maybe eventually both sides will agree to quit the madness.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: marshwiggle on February 21, 2024, 04:10:44 PMMaybe eventually both sides will agree to quit the madness.

Maybe you should lead the way, Marshbug.  Think you can quit the madness?
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on February 21, 2024, 04:46:16 PM
Quote from: marshwiggle on February 21, 2024, 04:10:44 PMMaybe eventually both sides will agree to quit the madness.

Maybe you should lead the way, Marshbug.  Think you can quit the madness?

Do you have any examples of me suggesting speech should be filtered because it might offend someone?