Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Where were you: Apollo 11 Edition

Started by clean, July 19, 2019, 04:03:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Quote from: hmaria1609 on July 19, 2019, 06:36:41 PM
Like ex_mo, my parents had yet to meet. 

In DC, there's a projected image of a rocket on the Washington Monument as part of the Apollo 11 anniversary.

For those who are fans of the British mysteries series "Endeavour," the 6th season included Apollo 11 landing in Episode 2 directed by actor Shaun Evans.

Oh, I need to catch up on those!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

hmaria1609

Quote from: mamselle on July 20, 2019, 06:23:54 PM
For those who are fans of the British mysteries series "Endeavour," the 6th season included Apollo 11 landing in Episode 2 directed by actor Shaun Evans.

Oh, I need to catch up on those!

M.
[/quote]
I've been following the show since it began in 2012. It's been renewed for a 7th season!

pepsi_alum

I not yet born at the time, and my parents didn't meet until 8 years later.

My first clear memory about space exploration was Voyager 2 reaching Neptune in 1989. We were on a family vacation in California at the time, and I remember my parents making my siblings and I watch a television program that showed what was going on.

InfoPri

I have clear memories of watching the moon landing with my mother.  Her own mother was in the hospital following a heart attack, and we were at my grandparents' condo.  The fold-out sofa's bed (where we slept when visiting) was open, and we sat on its edge, not more than two feet from the TV, watching Neil Armstrong take his famous first step on the moon's surface.  I was 11, and even by the standards of the day, the black-and-white image was frustratingly grainy.  We puzzled over Armstrong's famous words (not hearing any "a" between "for" and "man"), but were so excited by the accomplishment that we lost no sleep over his meaning.

I never in a million years thought we'd stop sending people into space to explore first Mars, then the remaining planets in our system.  I thought that by now, we'd be learning all about Saturn and Jupiter, at least, and might even have the beginnings of a colony on the moon or Mars.  At least, I hoped so.

aside

I was at my grandmother's house in rural Louisiana.  My grandmother was not well off and worked long hours to support herself after my grandfather's death.  We kids were left with her "housekeeper," who my grandmother essentially supported as well.  I remember the housekeeper grumbling that it was all fake, that they were in a warehouse in Arizona or someplace.  This and the aftermath of the JFK assassination were my introduction to conspiracy theories.

Conjugate

I only barely remember the run-up to the landing and the first step.  The first step itself, of course, was at some godawful early hour of the morning where I was, so all I really remember is a vague sense of sleepiness. But the landing itself, I was up late for that.
∀ε>0∃δ>0∋|x–a|<δ⇒|ƒ(x)-ƒ(a)|<ε

Parasaurolophus

Very, very unborn. So unborn. Not even close to born.
I know it's a genus.

Vkw10

In a Headstart program for children starting school in the fall. We watched TV with Armstrong bouncing around on the moon over and over and over. Boring.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

Antiphon1

Mom woke my siblings and me so we could watch.  We were all preschool age.  I was the only child not asleep on the rug in front of the TV, so my parents took me outside to look at the moon after Cronkite signed off.  Dad told Mom he'd seen the mushroom cloud at White Sands and now watched a man walk on the moon.  He was amazed at his great luck to live in a time of wonders.