News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Who are the forumites?

Started by polly_mer, July 19, 2019, 05:51:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polly_mer

I'm just curious about how people self-identify here. 

I don't care about official job title or institutional affiliations.

What are you doing with your life in any of these academically relevant categories?
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

quasihumanist

Where's "person delusionally hoping they're actually making the world a better place"?

polly_mer

Quote from: quasihumanist on July 19, 2019, 07:04:47 PM
Where's "person delusionally hoping they're actually making the world a better place"?
Isn't that "Dude, you wish you were me"?

nebo113

downer

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

octoprof

Welcome your cephalopod overlord.

Juvenal

Retired, but adjuncting.  In the fall; forget the spring and possible snow days and commute problems.  Well, fall is hurricane season and I suppose I don't give away too much geolocation to say that "Sandy" was a problem.
Cranky septuagenarian

paultuttle

Where's "person who wishes reading books could be a career"? I would've checked that maybe 1000 times.

polly_mer

Quote from: paultuttle on July 20, 2019, 09:45:19 AM
Where's "person who wishes reading books could be a career"? I would've checked that maybe 1000 times.

You and me both.

clean

Counting down the days til I hope to be able (and perhaps willing) to retire!

I just broke 2000 days to go!!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

fast_and_bulbous

I'm literally leading my subfield, and I don't see anyone in the rear view. It's weird, but exhilarating. Sometimes banging away at something for years pays off. I never intended for this to happen, but it did, and I'm running with it. My stuff is revising/potentially overturning long-held conceptual models and having a discernible effect on the field. My area is earth science / simulation using supercomputers. I guess I feel like I'm in version 2.0 of my career. Definitely enjoying the heck out of being a 100% researcher after doing the traditional college professor thing.
I wake up every morning with a healthy dose of analog delay

DoohickeyTech

Quote from: fast_and_bulbous on July 20, 2019, 02:31:36 PM
I'm literally leading my subfield, and I don't see anyone in the rear view. It's weird, but exhilarating. Sometimes banging away at something for years pays off. I never intended for this to happen, but it did, and I'm running with it. My stuff is revising/potentially overturning long-held conceptual models and having a discernible effect on the field. My area is earth science / simulation using supercomputers. I guess I feel like I'm in version 2.0 of my career. Definitely enjoying the heck out of being a 100% researcher after doing the traditional college professor thing.

To me you're a reminder that I may never understand the "Trout Mask Replica" album.

fast_and_bulbous

It's all just blabber 'n smoke...
I wake up every morning with a healthy dose of analog delay

octoprof

Quote from: clean on July 20, 2019, 02:06:01 PM
Counting down the days til I hope to be able (and perhaps willing) to retire!

I just broke 2000 days to go!!

Yea!
Welcome your cephalopod overlord.

paddington_bear

Lottery-winner hopeful. Mid-life crisis endurer.