News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

It wouldn't be believed in fiction....

Started by mamselle, July 21, 2019, 09:17:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

I first heard this phrase spoken by a once-well-known children's author in a Bible study about 45 years ago.

She was describing one of the miracles in a rather incredulous way, and offhand, said, "I wonder what God was thinking, really! It wouldn't be believed in fiction!

We figured she'd know.

Today, trying to organize some badly tangled accounts for a group I work for, I was starting to feel as if the term "fictitious narrative" might apply, they were so out-of whack. Surely nothing else could be so surreal...

Then, at a group of tables near me, a group started gathering and speaking in half-reverential, half-matter-of-fact tones about "visitations," and "strange things...but what else could it be?"

And then, what sounded like, "NavysomethingsomethingRoscoesomething..."

I turned around, and a sign in green magic marker proclaimed, "Paranormal Events and Experiences, 6-8 PM"

It just seemed so...so...fitting, somehow.

But it wouldn't be believed in fiction...

You?

M.

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

nebo113

I listened to Art Bell for years.  I don't believe, but I get it.

mamselle

I think they mentioned that name, too.

I had Beethoven's Ninth on the headphones to keep some sanity and distance going, but I could stiiilll hear them!

Sigh.

But that's just one example.

What coincidences have you had?

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mamselle

Well, this may end up being a one-person thread (OPT? more anagrams?) but another one just happened earlier last week.

The couple dancing next to me at the outdoor folk dance said they hadn't known about the dance before, but they'd come because of a poster they'd found in an obscure building across town.

There were no other folk dance posters up on the bulletin board, there, when I posted mine...and I doubt if any more were place within the day or so afterwards.

Soo.....Weird, but cool...again!

M.