News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Fauna and other natural things

Started by Thursday's_Child, August 29, 2019, 07:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Saw a monstrously large alligator lizard scamper into the garage this morning, which was cool.
I know it's a genus.

nebo113

Quote from: Langue_doc on May 27, 2023, 11:39:32 AM
Quote from: nebo113 on May 25, 2023, 06:27:00 AM
Quote from: apl68 on May 24, 2023, 01:36:32 PM
While coming back from lunch, I spotted a turtle crawling along the walkway in front of the library.  It was peering over the edge of the curb, and shying away when it decided it didn't like the looks of that drop.  Dropping down there wouldn't have been a good idea--beyond lay a broad asphalt driveway, then a broad strip of grass, then a sidewalk and a busy highway.  The day has been mainly overcast, so I suppose the turtle ventured farther out into the open than usual.

I carried the turtle to the back side of our lot and into the edge of the woods.  Usually when I interact with a box turtle it clams up tight.  This one showed no signs of that.  It started flailing with all four legs, and kept its head stuck out as well.  It kept trying to fight all the way back to the woods.  I strongly suspect that this is where the turtle emerged from in the first place.

The first one I rescued last week tucked up tight.  The second one scuttled away and flailed like yours did.

They are probably programmed to go in a certain direction to lay their eggs. What we see as "rescuing" actually interferes with the egg-laying schedule of turtles and their relatives. I speak from experience. Long ago, while hiking in one of the state parks I and a fellow motorist spend almost half an hour performing what we thought was a humanitarian mission of rescuing turtles that were trying to cross one of the roads in the park. A few weeks later I came across several clutches of hatched turtle shells on the side of the road that we were "rescuing" the turtles from reaching.

I do my best to get them to the side they are headed to.  Otherwise, it's most likely....splat.

apl68

Quote from: nebo113 on May 29, 2023, 05:23:23 AM
Quote from: Langue_doc on May 27, 2023, 11:39:32 AM
Quote from: nebo113 on May 25, 2023, 06:27:00 AM
Quote from: apl68 on May 24, 2023, 01:36:32 PM
While coming back from lunch, I spotted a turtle crawling along the walkway in front of the library.  It was peering over the edge of the curb, and shying away when it decided it didn't like the looks of that drop.  Dropping down there wouldn't have been a good idea--beyond lay a broad asphalt driveway, then a broad strip of grass, then a sidewalk and a busy highway.  The day has been mainly overcast, so I suppose the turtle ventured farther out into the open than usual.

I carried the turtle to the back side of our lot and into the edge of the woods.  Usually when I interact with a box turtle it clams up tight.  This one showed no signs of that.  It started flailing with all four legs, and kept its head stuck out as well.  It kept trying to fight all the way back to the woods.  I strongly suspect that this is where the turtle emerged from in the first place.

The first one I rescued last week tucked up tight.  The second one scuttled away and flailed like yours did.

They are probably programmed to go in a certain direction to lay their eggs. What we see as "rescuing" actually interferes with the egg-laying schedule of turtles and their relatives. I speak from experience. Long ago, while hiking in one of the state parks I and a fellow motorist spend almost half an hour performing what we thought was a humanitarian mission of rescuing turtles that were trying to cross one of the roads in the park. A few weeks later I came across several clutches of hatched turtle shells on the side of the road that we were "rescuing" the turtles from reaching.

I do my best to get them to the side they are headed to.  Otherwise, it's most likely....splat.

I try to move them in the direction they're going too.  Unfortunately, sometimes that's just not a very viable direction.  The one I moved back to the woods behind the library was not only headed for a busy road, but had little likely habitat awaiting beyond that.  It creates a quandary for the would-be turtle rescuer.

While visiting the park at Arkansas Post yesterday I saw the largest turtle I've seen recently on the edge of a trail.  This one was heading in the general direction of a large pond, with no roads to cross.  So I just took photos and did not intervene.  The turtle was probably glad to finally reach that cool water.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

evil_physics_witchcraft

I just saw a flippin' red fox prance through my backyard!!! I'm in a rural/suburban area with a good amount of activity, so seeing a fox is pretty rare.

apl68

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on June 02, 2023, 03:22:26 PM
I just saw a flippin' red fox prance through my backyard!!! I'm in a rural/suburban area with a good amount of activity, so seeing a fox is pretty rare.

Congratulations on the fox sighting!  I haven't seen one in a couple of years at least.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

evil_physics_witchcraft

ohnoes

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on June 03, 2023, 07:48:06 AM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 02, 2023, 10:20:40 PM
Thirty four goslings today.

That's a lot of goslings!

I think the Canada geese broods here have some sort of daycare arrangement once the chicks get to a certain size.  There are often groups of 20+ chunky goslings with two adult supervisors reasonably close and several childfree pairs much farther away.

nebo113

Quote from: ohnoes on June 05, 2023, 12:56:01 PM

I think the Canada geese broods here have some sort of daycare arrangement once the chicks get to a certain size.  There are often groups of 20+ chunky goslings with two adult supervisors reasonably close and several childfree pairs much farther away.

My giggle for the day.  Thank you.

apl68

Another turtle sighting today.  This one was at the city park.  It was farther away from the pond than one usually sees them there.  It had plenty of shade and wasn't too terribly close to the road, so I assumed it had its reasons for being in that spot.

glendower

I'm glad to hear that someone else thinks this, because I've suspected gosling daycare for the geese at my local park. One day I saw two geese with 13 goslings in tow, plus another set of parents with four. The next day I saw two adults with 17 youngsters. It's probably very adaptive for the geese!

Puget

Quote from: glendower on June 06, 2023, 07:21:44 AM

I'm glad to hear that someone else thinks this, because I've suspected gosling daycare for the geese at my local park. One day I saw two geese with 13 goslings in tow, plus another set of parents with four. The next day I saw two adults with 17 youngsters. It's probably very adaptive for the geese!

Yes, they do this-- a few days after the eggs hatch, several goose families join together to form a nursery or creshe, and the parents collectively raise the goslings. Sometimes the adults will form a protective ring around the goslings feeding or resting in the middle, and sometimes only a few parents remain on guard "babysitting" while the others feed nearby. Super adaptive behavior for reducing predation on the young while increasing feeding opportunities for the adults, which a number of other species with precocial young also engage in.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

FishProf

Quote from: nebo113 on June 06, 2023, 06:58:10 AM

Geese form a kind of creche known as a 'gang brood' of up to 100 goslings.  Your daycare observation is spot on.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

Langue_doc

NYC geese might be an exception to this trend. Yesterday I came across a goose family--parents and two chicks--in a place that usually attracts large flocks of geese. A year ago, in the same spot, I saw a similar nuclear family of mama, papa, and two chicks. I've also seen such families in Central Park. I suspect our geese are following the urban habit of keeping to themselves.

nebo113

Quote from: FishProf on June 06, 2023, 12:01:28 PM
Quote from: nebo113 on June 06, 2023, 06:58:10 AM

Geese form a kind of creche known as a 'gang brood' of up to 100 goslings.  Your daycare observation is spot on.

Uh oh.  It takes a village???