News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Impeachment

Started by nebo113, September 22, 2019, 05:50:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

To be clear (and in case it needs saying): privilege is not absolute. You can be privileged in some dimensions, and not in others. Intersectionality is real, and complicated.

I know it's a genus.

little bongo

Gina Crosley-Corcoran's essay "Explaining White Privilege to a Broke White Person" is the most intelligent take I've read on the subject. It acknowledges the reality of intersectionality, but she was able to appreciate it after a great deal of reading and study (which most of her family was never able to do). So again, yes, it's real, but maybe not the subject you want to introduce to your friend who's emptying the waste from his trailer into your sewer because the sh-tter's full.

For what it's worth, I approve of the impeachment, and I approve of Romney's kinda sorta brave stand. It was the Democrats' longest reach and strongest shot at showing the nation and the world the depths of corruption and criminality exhibited by President Trump, and showing the Republicans as supporters of such corruption. The president has soiled this republic, and the foul stain of his fetid feculence may take generations to wipe clean.

mahagonny

Quote from: little bongo on February 06, 2020, 06:49:33 AM
Gina Crosley-Corcoran's essay "Explaining White Privilege to a Broke White Person" is the most intelligent take I've read on the subject. It acknowledges the reality of intersectionality, but she was able to appreciate it after a great deal of reading and study (which most of her family was never able to do). So again, yes, it's real, but maybe not the subject you want to introduce to your friend who's emptying the waste from his trailer into your sewer because the sh-tter's full.

How many people would actually deny that white privilege is real, as opposed to just not warming up to the people who want to interject it into so many conversations?

Diogenes

Quote from: mahagonny on February 06, 2020, 09:01:38 AM

How many people would actually deny that white privilege is real, as opposed to just not warming up to the people who want to interject it into so many conversations?

It appears you've never been tasked to teach it as part of your curriculum.

mahagonny

Quote from: Diogenes on February 06, 2020, 11:15:37 AM
Quote from: mahagonny on February 06, 2020, 09:01:38 AM

It appears you've never been tasked to teach it as part of your curriculum.

No. In my field anyone who has brought the field forward is a hero of mine. I suppose I mostly forget to mention their race gender and a few other things about them. The atmosphere around here is too charged. I let their work convey the beauty of their minds and hearts to the students. Works pretty good.  But you see, the diversity and inclusion staff and the handful of professors who are their darlings want to have an effect on how I teach. They won't. They've infiltrated the professional development funds, but I can survive without getting support for professional funding.

writingprof

Speaker Pelosi now says that the President's comments on Roger Stone are an "abuse of power."

Abuse of power, eh? That sounds impeachable. Let's get this train going again!

Parasaurolophus

Sure. Only let's include everything else this time.
I know it's a genus.

mahagonny

whereas the president was already acquitted for abusing power when he obviously did, it is the senate who need impeaching. Since he has a habit of retaliating against people for doing their job, his complaining about the court's treatment of Roger Stone could be construed as a threat. He does it to himself. What amazes me is that none of his slightly more civilized republican buddies are convincing him to put a lid on it.

writingprof

Quote from: mahagonny on February 13, 2020, 10:15:11 AM
whereas the president was already acquitted for abusing power when he obviously did, it is the senate who need impeaching. Since he has a habit of retaliating against people for doing their job, his complaining about the court's treatment of Roger Stone could be construed as a threat. He does it to himself. What amazes me is that none of his slightly more civilized republican buddies are convincing him to put a lid on it.

I'm sure they would if they could.  But "convincing him" suggests his listening, reflecting, and reasoning.  That seems unlikely to happen.

ciao_yall

Quote from: writingprof on February 13, 2020, 09:54:11 AM
Speaker Pelosi now says that the President's comments on Roger Stone are an "abuse of power."

Abuse of power, eh? That sounds impeachable. Let's get this train going again!

And Barr is getting annoyed with Trump about his tweeting behavior... let's see how long he lasts trying to defend him.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: ciao_yall on February 14, 2020, 10:26:42 AM

And Barr is getting annoyed with Trump about his tweeting behavior... let's see how long he lasts trying to defend him.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

My guess is that Barr lasts however long the administration lasts.

I don't remember how things went down any more: wasn't Barr supposed to be a temporary replacement for Jeff Sessions? If not, who was it?
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

It's sad, and sobering, to see I'm not alone in saying this: W. Schaub says the "new," post-impeachment Trump is the most dangerous one:

https://www.vox.com/2020/2/14/21137873/walter-shaub-trump-new-york-quid-pro-quo-explained

He's most concerned that by increased "normalization" of outrageous incursions on the democratic process, the numbing or "whatever" response of the wider populace clears the way for more abuses.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: mamselle on February 15, 2020, 11:08:01 AM
It's sad, and sobering, to see I'm not alone in saying this: W. Schaub says the "new," post-impeachment Trump is the most dangerous one:

https://www.vox.com/2020/2/14/21137873/walter-shaub-trump-new-york-quid-pro-quo-explained

He's most concerned that by increased "normalization" of outrageous incursions on the democratic process, the numbing or "whatever" response of the wider populace clears the way for more abuses.

M.

Sounds right to me.

But don't worry! You can hold him accountable by voting him out of office! /sarcasm
I know it's a genus.