News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What's your weather?

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 05:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

Predicted heat index of 115 degrees today.  When I rode my bicycle to lunch yesterday the breeze failed to feel cool.  An evening stroll around sundown felt pleasant by comparison.  At least one month past the solstice the days are beginning to shorten noticeably.  The very worst should be behind us before too many more weeks. 
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

FishProf

Tropical Storm Calvin was a nothing-burger for us.  A few spots on the big island got 5 inches of rain, but generally no big deal.

Cue the complaining that the weather people just want to worry everyone so they'll spend more money on stuff...
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

Langue_doc

The predicted thunderstorms for yesterday and today didn't materialize--the weather gods apparently don't like this neck of the woods. Not complaining, but merely making an observation.

apl68

The weather was actually relatively mild the past two days.  Yesterday morning was actually quite pleasant, and it was nice to sit out on the patio in the shade for much of yesterday afternoon.  Looks like the weather will be back to July normal for the rest of the week.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

clean

By 9 am the heat index was already 100.  It is nearly 7 pm, and the heat index is still 105. 
We have reached drought stage again (technically, we never actually left it... we came close but the lakes we draw from never regained the minimal level to remove water restrictions).  My yard is primarily clay, and it is now brick.  I have some weeds I need to remove and it is like working with concrete.  My back wont let me work more than 15 or 20 minutes in this heat to make a lot of progress ridding them.
They are coming in from the neighbor.  He had 'real grass' but it was eaten by grubs some time ago, and this that has returned is nasty.  But he waters it, so the runners are well watered and are taking root in my yard.  Not sure what I can do, or what I am physically able to do, but getting rid of the plants that have 'taken root' in my yard is my goal. 

Anyway, it is HOT.  Not that we are making the news from AZ where they have weeks of 100+ temps, but we did have a run where we had 21 days or so of over excessive heat warnings.  (I think that they are not mentioning it much, but our low temperatures are pretty darn high too! they are certainly above 'average').
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Parasaurolophus

Finally rain, after weeks and weeks of sun in this temperate rainforest.
I know it's a genus.

Anselm

I am amazed that the Canadian tourist industry does not advertise their cooler weather.  I know a guy in Chicago who for some strange reason has no AC even though he can afford it.  He will check the weather reports and see that it is 10 degrees Fahrenheit cooler in Kenosha and then he will proceed to drive there for the day.  Right now the only domestic escape from the hot weather seems to be in the Pacific Northwest.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

apl68

Very harsh today.  I don't usually break out into a full sweat just walking to work in the morning!  The extended forecast is calling for hundred-degree highs all next week.  I can only imagine what the heat index will be.  Not unprecedented for our region, but severe enough that even somebody who's well-acclimated will probably have to curb outdoor activities.  Looks like I'll have to forget exploring some nearby back roads I'd been wanting to explore this Saturday.

hmaria1609

Langue_doc

Heat advisory through tomorrow evening, an air quality alert for the past several days and today, and a hazardous weather outlook for tomorrow. According to some websites, this is the hottest July in three years, which obscures that just four years ago we had a sweltering July with temperatures hovering around 100 for several days in a row.

Ruralguy

Hot here (I'll just say its roughly "Mid Atlantic to South"), though it would be a cold front out West! looks like some tropical moisture will start to encroach in a few days.

hmaria1609

clean

We could use rain! 
My Bride texted a picture of a hole in her parents' back yard near the fence.  she claims is is 2 1/2 feet deep, but her ability to measure most things is questionable.  We have lots of clay in this area, and when it is dry, as it is now, it does crack and the cracks can be deep, but that is pretty deep!   She said her dad indicated that it might be a location that ATT was working but who knows when that was?

Anyway, we have heat warnings.  The low last night was 78.  It is hot, humid and not pleasant!
 And Dry!!

Tropical depressions would be welcome, and Tropical Storms would not be unwelcome, as long as they didnt linger too long! 

(And the tropical activity may cool the Gulf waters making it a bit more pleasant, perhaps. 

But nothing like this is expected.  High pressure areas are keeping things away, and increasing the temperatures)
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Larimar

I'd be happy to give you some of our rain! We just had yet another of the short, intense gullywashers we've been having many afternoons and evenings this summer. They've been worse than usual this year. The water is threatening to flood the back porch and the balcony off the bedroom. I'd be glad to get rid of some of it.

Puget

After an oppressively tropical July (second rainiest on record, very high humidity making it feel much hotter) and one final torrential downpour yesterday evening, the cool, dry, air from our neighbor to the north has returned, and we welcome this Canadian invader with open arms. Mid 70s, dew point in the 50s, Heat pumps off, all the windows open. Did a bunch of yard work and now going to sit out there with a book and drink.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes