News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What's your weather?

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 05:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

We had a proper thunderstorm! I think this is the first since I moved here in late 2017. There have been a couple in the distance, but nothing right above us. Finally! Having grown up where they're common, I really miss them.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

The forecast called for a brief shower around 8:30 AM, which turned out to be no more than a sprinkle. On my drive out this morning before the expected rain, I saw half a rainbow with clouds and blue skies as a backdrop with nary a raindrop in sight. Its going to be a hot week.

apl68

Three hours of rain yesterday, after weeks of absolutely nothing.  It was welcome. 
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

hmaria1609

Langue_doc

Heat advisory has been extended to tomorrow evening. "Scattered" thunderstorms Friday through Sunday.

apl68

We're in another period of unpredictable, patchy precipitation.  Yesterday evening I rode my motorcycle to church.  The sky turned from sunny to threatening in the few minutes it took me to get there.  I parked under the breezeway out front and hoped for the best. 

When the service was over, it still wasn't raining, but looked even more threatening.  Somebody showed me a weather radar image showing severe weather in the general area.  I lit out for home, hoping to get there before it broke.  The winds started whipping up in the last few blocks home.  I made it, still dry, giving thanks that I had done so.  And then after a while the front moved on, with not a drop of rain on our town this time.  Looks like somebody within a few miles probably got it, though.  These localized storms and showers are still so hard to predict.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Langue_doc

The predicted thunderstorms are here but only with sporadic half-hearted thunder and just a few drops of rain. We--10 counties in SE NY, counties in northern NJ and a few counties in south CT have a severe thunderstorm watch until 11 PM. Temperatures have come down.

FishProf

I was walking yesterday during the thunderstorm warning.  I heard thunder all around me, but nary a drop of rain.  When I got home, I thought "well, I might as well mow the lawn until the rain comes".  I ended up doing the whole thing (woot).

Today, the rain has come with a vengeance.  This is a good thing as I am way behind on my courses1

1 - MrsFishProf needed emergency infection removal surgery.  All good now, but gnarly scars....
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

Langue_doc

The forecast for today (this was late last night) was for thunderstorms to start at 8. This morning though, the forecast had changed to thunderstorms starting at 1 PM and continuing until late evening. Went on the bird walk (a few unadventurous souls had backed out, according to the email we got last night), but had to take shelter soon after 10 AM under some trees, because a segment of the thunderstorm reached us early, and then saw the radar display of the approaching storm on someone's phone which made us decide to end the walk. Drove home in pouring rain and flooded streets. Now the sun's out.

Good wishes to MrsFishProf!

apl68

Yes, glad to hear that Mrs. FishProf is safely past that. 

We had a beautiful and relatively mild weekend.  The extended forecast calls for highs in the 80s all this week, which would be wonderful.

evil_physics_witchcraft

hmaria1609

Cooler temps to end the week. It's been nice sleeping with the windows open.

FishProf

Hurricane passed by, with no effects.  At all.

Its still wet and humid, but today was a nice afternoon to catch a ballgame.

apl68

The days are still hot, but not terribly so, and the evenings and mornings are starting to get pleasant.  I rode my motorcycle to attend a bible study at some friends' house about ten miles away yesterday evening, and got overtaken by darkness on the way home.  It actually felt chilly on that bike!  This will be the last time I ride out to their house in the evening until the days start getting longer again.

FishProf

And now, more rain.  My yard is becoming a rainforest.