News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What's your weather?

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 05:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hmaria1609

Still cool temps.
I read fall foliage will be short lived here around the metro DC area.

apl68

Our extended forecast has become very changeable.  The latest version is calling for cooler temperatures in the next few days, with chance of rain.  It's making it hard to plan outdoor activities.  We could use the rain, though.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

FishProf

Tauntingly lovely.  With more rain predicted for the weekend, which is the first chance I'll have to get outdoors again.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

hmaria1609

From WTOP online: Parts of Maryland have a drought warning now. Over the summer, I'd noticed the water levels in the river drop enough for people to walk in it!

Langue_doc

Lovely weather this week, but steady rains have been forecast for the weekend which means that my outings for Saturday and Sunday will be canceled. I was looking forward to both, the first one an outing that I had organized for one of my outdoors groups, and the other, quite different, but also in the wide open spaces. Aaargh!

hmaria1609

Tropical Storm Ophelia is coming towards the Delmarva this weekend:
https://wtop.com/weather/2023/09/dc-area-braces-for-rain-wind-from-powerful-weekend-storm/
There's a short video of Bethany Beach, DE included.
Stay safe and dry everyone!

Langue_doc

Thanks to Ophelia, most outdoor events for this weekend have been canceled or rescheduled.
https://gothamist.com/news/tropical-storm-ophelia-on-track-to-hit-nyc-nj-like-a-hurricane-but-cooler

QuoteA subtropical storm that's been quietly strengthening off the East Coast most of the week reached tropical storm status Friday afternoon, just in time to ruin New York and New Jersey weekends with a steady rain and hazardous gusty winds.

Tropical Storm Ophelia's most hazardous conditions will make landfall on North Carolina and Virginia, but the storm is big — about 380 miles across east to west and 296 miles north to south in terms of the extent of its winds. It's slated to gradually move northward after making landfall.

QuoteNational Weather Service meteorologists expect New Jersey to see tougher conditions relative to downstate New York, but this entire region will likely encounter tropical-storm-force wind gusts. They said, given it's autumn and most leaves are yet to fall, the timing of this storm carries an extra risk of large branches falling, which is a danger to people and power lines.

"You typically see a little bit more tree damage when you have full leaves on the trees than if it's in the middle of winter and you don't have any leaves," said Sarah Johnson, a warning coordination meteorologist at NWS Mount Holly. The leaves make the branches heavier and more likely to catch the wind.

Ophelia will also deliver storm surge, high surf and rip tides — with the risks being greatest in South Jersey but still present around New York coastal areas.

Another thing people should know about Ophelia is that it started off with cooler temperatures than a typical tropical storm, but that didn't stop it from rapidly strengthening due this year's stretch of abnormally warm ocean water.

ab_grp

I hadn't heard anything about Ophelia! I will send good weather wishes to all of you in its predicted (or actual) path.

hmaria1609

Lots of rain today, heavy at times! It's light rain at the moment.
Ophelia has become a tropical depression as she moves further up the coast. Flood watches and warnings throughout the Baltimore/DC region until tomorrow.

apl68

I've been awakened by two nights of prolonged thunder and lightning in a row.  There wasn't a great deal of rain or wind either time.

The extended forecast calls for our entire final week of September and into October to have near 90-degree highs.  Looks like I'll have to run my home air conditioner well into October, which I don't believe I've ever had to do before.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Langue_doc

It's still raining and will continue to do so until tomorrow.

Parasaurolophus

After monnths without rain, a fuckload of rain.
I know it's a genus.

AmLitHist

Upper 80s and near 90 all week here, with a chance of a storm this evening/overnight. It rained a bit over the weekend, but it's generally pretty dry.

Local farmers have started combining beans, which is a bit early; corn doesn't look too far behind.  The corn has looked rough since early August: much shorter than usual, and the leaves were starting to burn at the edges already back then because of the lack of rain, again, about a month earlier than usual.

The cool wet spring delayed planting, and the extreme heat and dry conditions didn't do farmers (or gardeners, for that matter) any good this year in our area.

Juvenal

Three gray, wet/wettish days.  A long time since we've had that.  No fall color of note yet, although I do see dogwoods getting with the program, but otherwise our infinity of oaks thinks it's still August.  They'll learn.
Cranky septuagenarian

hmaria1609