News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What's your weather?

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 05:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Fairly cool, chilly, a bit windy this AM.

Lots of birds about.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

hmaria1609

Feeling like summer! We had a heat wave here in the metro DC area today:
https://wtop.com/weather/2022/05/dangerously-hot-and-humid-saturday-scorching-heat-to-sizzle-dc-area-this-weekend/
As mentioned in the article, the Heat Emergency Alert is activated in DC for the weekend.

apl68

Quote from: hmaria1609 on May 20, 2022, 07:28:17 PM
Feeling like summer! We had a heat wave here in the metro DC area today:
https://wtop.com/weather/2022/05/dangerously-hot-and-humid-saturday-scorching-heat-to-sizzle-dc-area-this-weekend/
As mentioned in the article, the Heat Emergency Alert is activated in DC for the weekend.

Temperatures nearing 90 are a heat wave?  Temperatures in the low 90s are fairly common here around this time of year, or at least have been in recent years.  What has had everybody startled was the highs in the mid-90s in the second week of May this year.  I had to turn my air on a week or more early!

I realize that 90 degrees with high humidity can be dangerous for some people.  It's just that such conditions have always been so normal where I live that I've grown up not thinking much about them.  It has only been in recent years that I've come to realize what an extreme climate my home region has.  We have no large bodies of water in the region, so we don't even get the sea breezes that they get in coastal Florida.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

kaysixteen

I left my phone in the storage thingee that separates the two front seats of the car, during church today-- got out after service and fellowship luncheon after 4 hours, around 2pm.   Thermostat on dash read 101F, likely due to the open air sitting of car on hot asphalt.   Tried to use phone but warning message on screen said it was hot and as such had shut down apps-- could not make any non-emergency calls and could not open email.   Had to drive for about 10 miles, with a/c on, towards ocean, watching temperature drop noticeably (ocean is 20 miles south, and when I got there,  it was only 70), before phone and email worked again.   Is this normal?

mamselle

91 degrees and thunderstorm warnings here.

Yes, above certain temps, the circuits fry, so a sensor shuts them down.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

Now unseasonably cool here.  Yesterday the high was only in the mid-70s.  Today is supposed to be the same.  It was far into the 90s on Saturday.  We've also had some nice, slow, good-for-the-vegetation rain.  That sort of mild rain is becoming all too rare in this age of weather extremes.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Langue_doc

Thunder and lightning in full force along with heavy rains.

hmaria1609

Day 2 for a Heat Emergency Alert in DC. It's been in the 90s.
It'll be cooler tomorrow though.

apl68

The rodeo is in town this week, so occasional brief showers are absolutely guaranteed.  We had one in the wee hours this morning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Currently 89 degrees F, but it feels like 93 deg. F.

apl68

Wow, we just got more than the usual annoying Rodeo Weeks showers.  We've had some frog-stranglers today.

mamselle

You in Calaveras County?

M.

hmaria1609

dismalist

Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 02, 2022, 07:36:26 PM
Heavy thunderstorms and havoc this afternoon:
https://wtop.com/weather-news/2022/06/wicked-weather-thunderstorms-likely-for-dc-could-be-severe/
Includes a video of the heavy rain.

Surprisingly, I'm in the clear across the Potomac. Welcome to the most advanced third world country!
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

apl68

Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 02, 2022, 07:36:26 PM
Heavy thunderstorms and havoc this afternoon:
https://wtop.com/weather-news/2022/06/wicked-weather-thunderstorms-likely-for-dc-could-be-severe/
Includes a video of the heavy rain.

Quote from: mamselle on June 02, 2022, 12:33:57 PM
You in Calaveras County?

M.
Haha! :D

Some people here like to eat frogs, but I don't think they're into watching them in jumping contests.