News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What's your weather?

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 05:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

azaz_the_unabridged

Mid 70's and overcast, which makes for a good change from the torrential downpours we've been having this week. I swear, I'm about ready to trade in my car for a canoe if this continues through the summer.

brixton

Marine layer gray (June Gloom/May Gray)

polly_mer

We have enough humidity in the air that they are predicting rain.  That's very exciting for June, but terrible for my hair.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

hmaria1609

Downpours earlier this afternoon.  Some places had hail!

paddington_bear

53F and sunny! It's a little cooler than I'd like for almost-summer, but I still love it! I'd be happy if it were this cool for the next 4 months.

paultuttle

80 degrees F today, which is much better than last week's 90- to 95-degree temps.

zyzzx

It was hot today - high of 93! I am so excited that summer is finally here. Of course everyone else is moaning and groaning, especially since there is no AC around here, but I love it!

aside

Still hot and humid.  94 today.

polly_mer

We did get rain!  Enough rain that we still had puddles when I got out of work.

aside

Quote from: polly_mer on June 03, 2019, 09:10:58 PM

So did you jump and splash in them?

polly_mer

Quote from: aside on June 04, 2019, 04:14:12 AM
Quote from: polly_mer on June 03, 2019, 09:10:58 PM

So did you jump and splash in them?

I was tempted, but they were gone by the time I had on non-work clothes.

mamselle

Cool, balmy, clear, calm.

I'm sitting in a garden, having just eaten a late lunch/snack/pre-dinner meal, before returning to the library to do more work.

Sigh...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ab_grp

A very powerful storm just moved in very quickly.  I had heard a rumor that there might be rain this afternoon, but the skies looked as lovely as usual.  Then, suddenly, there was rain.  And it passed! Skies were blue.  Then I went outside, and within three to five minutes the storm came out of the south and blew north to cover the entire valley.  One crazy wind gust finally made me run inside.  I don't think it was quite the 60mph that was suddenly expected, but probably close.  There is supposed to be nickel- or quarter-sized hail, but that has not happened (yet?).  Storms here come so quickly.  It seems that the weather can change at the drop of a hat, and my five weather apps never agree on anything.  Makes life interesting!

Juvenal

Today? Perfection (yesterday, too).  James Russell Lowell wrote "What is so rare as a day in June?/Then if ever come perfect days."  Well, he did live in New England, where one sickens of winter, but I'm not entirely distant from that locus, so a fine June day near Boston can be a fine June day hereabouts, too.

I don't call Lowell exactly a poetaster, but he is certainly a dim light in the poetic firmament now, despite this good Q/A that has long stuck in my mind (usually surfacing on a fine June day).  Not taking time looking up the quotation, who can name the poem it comes from?  It's the first two lines, too.  And I had to look it up again, anyway.  Then he goes on about trees and flowers and birdies.  I stopped.
Cranky septuagenarian

mamselle

Quote from: Juvenal on June 04, 2019, 03:38:51 PM
Today? Perfection (yesterday, too).  James Russell Lowell wrote "What is so rare as a day in June?/Then if ever come perfect days."  Well, he did live in New England, where one sickens of winter, but I'm not entirely distant from that locus, so a fine June day near Boston can be a fine June day hereabouts, too.

I don't call Lowell exactly a poetaster, but he is certainly a dim light in the poetic firmament now, despite this good Q/A that has long stuck in my mind (usually surfacing on a fine June day).  Not taking time looking up the quotation, who can name the poem it comes from?  It's the first two lines, too.  And I had to look it up again, anyway.  Then he goes on about trees and flowers and birdies.  I stopped.

I'd have to look it up to answer, but I do believe his gravestone, set in a veritable sculpture garden of neoclassical urns and orbs, is modeled after colonial gravestones made two centuries earlier--because he inhabited a (still-standing) colonial-era house nearby, and wanted his gravestone to go with it.

(Apropos of current events, too, that home was the site in which the concept of "gerrymandering" was born...by a previous owner.)

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.