News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What's your weather?

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 05:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Istiblennius

Too cold to walk the dog without her boots on. She hates her boots.

Harlow2

46* with wind-driven rain, and I just heard thunder (possibly a plane as I am not too far from a runway used in windy weather). Temps forecasted to drop to 9* later this evening; very unusual (but not truly rare) for this metro Philly area. Will employ the dripping faucet and open vanity door routine. Awfully glad my HVAC broke when it did last summer and I now have a spiffy new system. Frozen pipes would be a disaster for both me and those who share walls with me.  Best wishes to all who are caught in this!

Thursday's_Child

Windy and barely above freezing, heading to low teens with 10+ degrees of wind chill. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Still have to drain the hoses, insulate the hose bibs, bring in a last few potted plants, and check the mulch piled around plants that can't come in.  Then it's just keeping the bird feeders filled & the bird baths from being continually iced over - for the next 4-5 days....  It's been a long time since we've had temps this low, or for so long.

Juvenal

My coldest ever in the Lower Forty-eight?  Minus 26 in Nashville!  January, 1963.

My coldest ever?  Minus 40, but that was in Alberta, in 1957.

So, predicted ten degrees-above tonight?  Time to put on my short-sleeved shirt and find one of my sweatbands.
Cranky septuagenarian

Wahoo Redux

-4.  In the heel of the big winter footprint coming down from Canada.  Wind pure Boreas.  I hate, hate, hate this shit.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

hmaria1609

Very cold and windy here!

Winter has arrived in the DC area:
https://wtop.com/weather-news/2022/12/snow-arrives-to-dc-area-in-time-for-christmas-holiday/

And here are tips about keeping your pipes from freezing:
https://wtop.com/weather-news/2022/12/tips-on-how-to-keep-your-pipes-from-freezing-as-temperatures-drop/
Posted on WTOP 12/21/22

evil_physics_witchcraft

It's currently 10 degrees F, but feels like -6!!!

kaysixteen

Well I knew there would be something Wahoo and I would agree on.   I hate the cold.   Around here, on the coast, it was in the 50s yesterday, more or less till about 3pm this afternoon, as it sloshed about 2 inches of rain on us.  Rain blew on out of town.  Wind didn't, and the temps have plummeted about 35 degrees so far.

How ever did I deal with 8 years of grad school in Buffalo?  I am old.

sinenomine

4 degrees here, and I have to venture out to clear the 6 inches of completely unforecasted snow off my car. Brrrrr.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: kaysixteen on December 23, 2022, 09:50:56 PM
Well I knew there would be something Wahoo and I would agree on.   I hate the cold.   Around here, on the coast, it was in the 50s yesterday, more or less till about 3pm this afternoon, as it sloshed about 2 inches of rain on us.  Rain blew on out of town.  Wind didn't, and the temps have plummeted about 35 degrees so far.

How ever did I deal with 8 years of grad school in Buffalo?  I am old.

We agree on lots of things.

Our Coke Zeros are freezing to ice in the kegerator on the back porch----in the kegerator!
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

apl68

Has everybody come through the storms okay?

We had several days of extreme low temperatures, but no winter precipitation whatsoever.  Winter temperatures are now back to regional norms.  We're forecast to begin the New Year with highs in the 70s....
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

ab_grp

It was gray and rainy yesterday and pretty cold, but we got lucky today.  Sunny, 60s, a little breezy.  We were able to sit outside this morning for a few and will try to in the evening as well to make the most of it!

dismalist

Almost 60º today in DC Metro. About 25º around Christmas. On average, everything is OK! :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Langue_doc

After the bitter cold a week ago, and the rains yesterday, it's a gorgeous sunny day today. I was overdressed when I went for a walk--didn't need gloves or anything on my head. I saw people wearing sweatshirts on their walks.

apl68

After an unusually cold Christmas week, we're back to our more normal altered-climate pattern of having severe spring storms in winter.  Looks like winter may already be effectively over for us.  The high was well in the 70s yesterday, and will be again today.  It won't get below 60--maybe--until next week.  Last night between six and seven I heard the tornado warning sirens go off more than I think I ever have in my life.  We didn't have any actual tornado damage here, but there has been some elsewhere in the state.  Tornado season in Arkansas is becoming like fire season out west and hurricane season to the south of us--something that we used to face for a few months out of the year, now pretty much a year-round risk.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all