News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What's your weather?

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 05:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

A thick dusting of snow on cars and people's yards. The roads are already clear, and the sun is shining, so it's probably just something that passed through late at night.

apl68

Winter ice storm alerts all over our state.  At least one person has been killed in a wreck on an icy road.  Somehow it seems to be all passing around us, although we did have one staff member who lives in an outlying area say that she couldn't get over her road to come in to work.  The temperatures haven't actually been far below freezing, but the overcast and damp make it feel awfully chilly outside.  And in, given our building's HVAC deficiencies.

Glad I made a big batch of chili earlier this week.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

hmaria1609

Woke up and saw snow this morning! It was on the grass:
https://wtop.com/weather-news/2023/02/first-flakes-snowfall-across-dc-area-ahead-of-morning-commute/
I cleared off my car with an old broom after coming back from my morning walk. Then to the library for the day.

dismalist

Quote from: hmaria1609 on February 01, 2023, 01:16:49 PM
Woke up and saw snow this morning! It was on the grass:
https://wtop.com/weather-news/2023/02/first-flakes-snowfall-across-dc-area-ahead-of-morning-commute/
I cleared off my car with an old broom after coming back from my morning walk. Then to the library for the day.

No snow across the river, though it was in the forecast. I was prepared for the worst -- 'ya know, treating the snow with chemicals, but I saw nothing in the morning  and went back to sleep. :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

apl68

We've once again narrowly missed the freeze-up that has been hitting much of the state.  All we've had has been lots and lots of cold rain.  The rain makes it feel so much colder, plus the fact that we've kept having occasional surges up into the 60s and even 70s during the winter has kept anybody from getting properly acclimatized to winter temperatures.  We'll be up into the 60s again in a couple of days. 

Meanwhile, we're thankful here that we've dodged the power outages and slick road conditions.  People from states that are used to dealing with heavy snowfalls don't realize that our occasional tiny thicknesses of ice can raise as much havoc as a major snowfall.  A little ice can still make roads deadly and wreck power service.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

hmaria1609

Happy Groundhog Day!
DC's own Potomac Phil made his predication earlier today:
https://wtop.com/dc/2023/02/dcs-potomac-phil-declares-an-early-spring/
An annual local event!

It'll be very cold tomorrow and the weekend. Enough for mobile warming buses to be at select sites in the city.

Juvenal

Nearly unprecedented wind chills coming to hypothermize the unsheltered--so they say.  And for the sheltered, plump heating costs.  Why, Oh why, did I forget to grow out my pelt this year?
Cranky septuagenarian

apl68

Quote from: hmaria1609 on February 02, 2023, 02:35:31 PM
Happy Groundhog Day!
DC's own Potomac Phil made his predication earlier today:
https://wtop.com/dc/2023/02/dcs-potomac-phil-declares-an-early-spring/
An annual local event!

It'll be very cold tomorrow and the weekend. Enough for mobile warming buses to be at select sites in the city.

A children's home in a nearby town lost power and had to be evacuated.  The children are bedding down in a local church that still has power.  Much of the town isn't expected to have power again until Saturday.  My home town is in the same situation.  My parents still didn't have power as of last night.  They're managing okay on a gasoline generator and and gas heat.  We never lost power here, but the schools are opening two hours late today.

And it's beautifully sunny and warmer today!  That morning sun is a sight for sore eyes after a week of clouds and rain.

Juvenal

"Unprecedented wind chill" for hereabouts (and so close to being nestled by an ocean's warm bosom).  How can I say this?  The furnace works on and on.  More CO2 for the atmosphere.  I do my part.
Cranky septuagenarian

sinenomine

I just went out to grab my newspaper — it's -10 Fahrenheit. The paper hadn't been delivered, alas.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

FishProf

Also -10 (-23 C) here.  The precautions I took to prevent freezing pipes were successful.  The cats are displeased to be obliged to snuggle.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

Juvenal

The wind chill might well have been "unprecedented," but not the low.  Not right here.  It went down to 4° last night.  I have kept hi/lo monthly records since 1995 and the lowest low (once) was 3° in 2004.  As I said, I'm mellowed by proximity to the ocean.  Ah, a mellow 4°!  I see the town where I was raised--far from salted water--was -27°
Cranky septuagenarian

Langue_doc

It isn't too bad here--high twenties. The five-mile walk offered by one of my hiking organizations is still on. There's a note from the organizer advising people to dress warmly. Early in the week, the walk which was capped at around 80 or so participants had a long waiting list. This morning, the number of participants is down to around 25.

Those of you who live in areas where the temperatures are hovering around freezing and below freezing, stay warm--hope your pipes don't freeze and there are no power outages.

Anselm

Well, the Canadians can no longer consult their trusty weather oracle.  RIP

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_la_marmotte
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

hmaria1609

Really cold here in the DC area today!
Quote from: apl68 on February 03, 2023, 07:37:20 AM
A children's home in a nearby town lost power and had to be evacuated.  The children are bedding down in a local church that still has power.  Much of the town isn't expected to have power again until Saturday.  My home town is in the same situation.  My parents still didn't have power as of last night.  They're managing okay on a gasoline generator and and gas heat.  We never lost power here, but the schools are opening two hours late today.

And it's beautifully sunny and warmer today!  That morning sun is a sight for sore eyes after a week of clouds and rain.
How are things in your area now?