News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What's your weather?

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 05:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vkw10

Lovely early fall day, slightly overcast, temperature reaching 72, and wind gently blowing fallen leaves. Rain expected tomorrow, with high around 70.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

hmaria1609

Rain! Enough said for the 1st day of the year.

Parasaurolophus

Forever rain. We might see the sun again next week. Maybe.
I know it's a genus.

FishProf

Today's weather?  Everything.  It's like circling the triple point....
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

AmLitHist

Dreary and gray.  Mid to low 30s with mist/fog (possibly freezing) this morning, and light snow by evening.  It's just that damp cold that goes right to the bone, and I can't get the chill out of the house.

In other words, not nearly as bad as it could be on a January 2 here, but not nice, either.

apl68

Quote from: hmaria1609 on January 01, 2021, 02:07:48 PM
Rain! Enough said for the 1st day of the year.
We had heavy rains on New Year's Eve.  Probably did us the favor of keeping many people from attending the outdoor ball drop that the town's Parks & Recreation director insisted on holding despite the plague.

Yesterday it was nice out, with 60-degree temperatures that would have been unheard-of in January only a few years ago.  Today they're calling for a high of 65.  Then dropping into the 40s later this week.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

paultuttle

There might--MIGHT--be snow mixed with rain this coming Friday morning.

This is the Piedmont Triad area of North Carolina, so people are already "getting ready" by talking it up on the local TV channels. I expect not to be able to find bread, milk, eggs, or butter in the local stores soon.

Which reminds me of a comedian's quip several years ago: "When the power's out, do people still expect to be able to make French toast??"

ergative

We're coming out of a spate of sub-zero nights and barely-above-freezing days*, and twice we woke up to snow on the ground. The roads have been icy---Absolutive had a very bad fall a week and a half ago and his backside is still sore---but the skies have been clear blue and sunrises and sunsets have been gorgeous. It's the perfect temperature for bundling up warmly and going for a walk as the sun goes down and the sky turns a pinky blue twilight.

That's all coming to an end tonight; rain is forecast, the temperature will climb to a sullen 7ish (mid-forties), and the sky will cloud over for the foreseeable future. Ah, well. It was nice while it lasted.

*sub-0 in C, not F

apl68

Chilly and clear out, with expected highs in the upper 40s.  We had the second frost of the year.  I plan to make a pot of chili today.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Vkw10

Sweater weather. Started chilly, but sunny. Woke to 33 F, but it was 40 by mid-morning, with high of 55 expected. Lovely.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

hmaria1609

apl68

Snow!  For the first time in four or five years!  A lovely blanket of snow all over the houses and trees and yards.  I was highly skeptical of the forecasts, so waking up to it this morning was a genuine surprise.

The streets here in town are almost entirely clear.  But we had multiple staff members who were either sick or live well out of town where road conditions were worse.  So I called a snow day at work rather than force them to come in.  Very likely it will mostly be melted by early afternoon, making me look like an idiot.  I'm here taking care of some business by myself.

Meanwhile I and our janitor, who had already come in, have spent an hour staking out the perimeter of the grounds with caution tape and "Posted" signs, in an effort to deter people on four-wheel ATVs.  One end of our library's lot consists of park-like area.  Whenever we get an inch of snow we have four-wheelers running hog wild across it.  An ATV on an inch of wet snow over wet ground destroys the ground like nothing else.  We've gone to a lot of trouble to get our grounds looking nice.  I'd hate to see them torn up again.

ab_grp

Enjoy the snow, apl68! I hope the grounds stay intact, and it sounds to me like you made a good (and compassionate) call about the snow day. 

It is clear but pretty cold here (lows in low 20s, highs almost to 50).  We have been trying to handle the house temperature by having the heat on during the day, turning it off in late afternoon, letting the house cool a bit, and then putting the air on to get to sleeping temps by the time we go to bed.  Of course the temperature then goes below what we set it to when it is this cold.  Because I am so bright, I accidentally turned the air off this morning but did not turn the heat on.  Luckily I checked the thermostat because it felt so cold in the house and was able to rectify the situation, but it is still so chilly that it's hard to type! I wish the temps would be more consistent so we could find a better routine.  I also wish I could crawl into my cup of coffee right now.

evil_physics_witchcraft

'All the leaves are brown... and the sky is grey.'

Well, it's also drizzly, overcast and just plain icky outside. Some weatherpeople are calling for snow down here. If that happens, then most folk will lose their minds and buy bleach, bread and milk.

apl68

Quote from: ab_grp on January 11, 2021, 09:32:09 AM
Enjoy the snow, apl68! I hope the grounds stay intact, and it sounds to me like you made a good (and compassionate) call about the snow day. 

It is clear but pretty cold here (lows in low 20s, highs almost to 50).  We have been trying to handle the house temperature by having the heat on during the day, turning it off in late afternoon, letting the house cool a bit, and then putting the air on to get to sleeping temps by the time we go to bed.  Of course the temperature then goes below what we set it to when it is this cold.  Because I am so bright, I accidentally turned the air off this morning but did not turn the heat on.  Luckily I checked the thermostat because it felt so cold in the house and was able to rectify the situation, but it is still so chilly that it's hard to type! I wish the temps would be more consistent so we could find a better routine.  I also wish I could crawl into my cup of coffee right now.

Thanks!

I'm having quite an eventful day for the library not being open.  Our IT guy seems to have fixed our accounting software update problem.  I've fielded several phone calls, most of which I really needed to catch.  And we have a service technician from Little Rock here for a quarterly maintenance inspection of our HVAC, which in the midst of everything I had forgotten was coming.  Starting to wonder whether I'll have a chance to get home for lunch in an hour.  I really hope so.  I've got plenty of beef/venison chili left over from Saturday waiting for me.