News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What's your weather?

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 05:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

While I was walking to work a little while ago a neighbor informed me that we are supposed to have a "frog strangler" pass through within the next couple of hours.  In recent days forecast rain has repeatedly failed to show (Or only just barely shown itself).  Today it looks like it really means it.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mamselle

Are you in Calaveras County?

;--}

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ab_grp

Quote from: apl68 on July 02, 2021, 07:15:14 AM
While I was walking to work a little while ago a neighbor informed me that we are supposed to have a "frog strangler" pass through within the next couple of hours.  In recent days forecast rain has repeatedly failed to show (Or only just barely shown itself).  Today it looks like it really means it.

Seems like they're called "toad stranglers" here (or, at least, that's what my husband calls them), and this is the time of year for them.  We had quite a lot of rain earlier in the week, but it's mostly been threatening the past few days.  Lots of lightning around.  Good luck!

apl68

Quote from: mamselle on July 02, 2021, 02:24:23 PM
Are you in Calaveras County?

;--}

M.

No, our jumping frogs are not celebrated.

I got caught by a downpour going to lunch, and by a heavier one coming back.  My socks are still drying out at work!  It had stopped raining altogether when I set out back to work. Then, midway through the walk, the bottom dropped out over me for about six minutes.  Even with an umbrella, my feet and legs got soaked.  It had entirely stopped raining again by the time I reached work.  I hate it when the weather suckers me like that.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

hmaria1609

As a follow up to my post yesterday:
https://wtop.com/local/2021/07/damages-reported-throughout-dc-area-after-tornado-warnings/

Quote from: dismalist on July 01, 2021, 07:53:33 PM
Yet again we got the emergency notifications on the radio once the storm had passed.  This, too, is useful information!

Glad the National Weather Service was paying proper attention.
You're welcome!

mamselle

Cool and rainy, and now it's possible we'll set a record for low temps this month.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

OneMoreYear

It's hot. Burn your bare feet on the deck hot. Though it's not quite I double-dog-dare you to walk across the black-top without shoes hot, as we no longer live in the southlands of my youth. Looks like rain later to contribute to the humidity without cooling anything down. Can't complain too much though. We're not breaking any temperature records, and the air-conditioner is at least keeping the house below 80 degrees in most rooms.

apl68

Not bad for July yesterday.  Although still hot and humid enough that our outdoor work transformed Dad, my brother, and me into what my brother called "sweaty dogs."  The actual dog that was with us did a good deal of panting.

mamselle

Apparently at 5.30 pm a 45-mph wind took out the tree in the front of the house that leans the other way across the street.

I was online, earphones on, just heard a thunderclap, kept on doing what I was doing.

Thankfully the house across the street both has its own strong tree out front, and was recently sold, thus empty.

Even the silver car underneath looks undamaged.

Microburst? Dunno, we get them.

Weird.

M.

kaysixteen

Frog/toad strangler = gullywasher?

apl68

Quote from: kaysixteen on July 06, 2021, 06:25:55 PM
Frog/toad strangler = gullywasher?

Frog strangler/gully washer/duck pacifier/trash re-locater--all pretty much synonyms.

mamselle

Yesterday: 90s, dry, trees being cleared all over town.

Today--Saturday: cool, possible hurricane tracking our way, flood warnings, more tree issues possible, etc.

As they say, "Don't like the weather? Wait a minute."

M

hmaria1609

We've got lots of rain from Tropical Storm Elsa on its way to the metro DC area:
https://wtop.com/local/2021/07/remnants-of-elsa-brings-heavy-rain-to-dc-region/
Some places will see more than others.

Langue_doc

We didn't see much rain in our neighborhood yesterday, but subways and several roads were flooded.
These are not sights one expects in a supposedly first world city:
https://gothamist.com/news/subway-commuters-wade-waist-deep-waters-heavy-rainfall

ab_grp

Quote from: Langue_doc on July 09, 2021, 06:10:16 AM
We didn't see much rain in our neighborhood yesterday, but subways and several roads were flooded.
These are not sights one expects in a supposedly first world city:
https://gothamist.com/news/subway-commuters-wade-waist-deep-waters-heavy-rainfall

I was really surprised to see some of the video of the subway yesterday and showed it to my husband this morning.  Yeek!! No way I'd want to be in whatever soup is down there.  It just seems both gross and dangerous.  Hope you stay dry!