News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What's your weather?

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 05:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harlow2

Finally, several days in a row with absolutely gorgeous weather.  Ahhhh.

apl68

Quote from: AmLitHist on July 24, 2021, 10:22:35 AM
Dog days in the mid-Mississippi Valley.  Heat index of 108 forecast today and tomorrow, with the "real heat" yet to come this upcoming week, according to the weatherman.  (The heat's not so bad--as usual, it's the humidity. Walking out the door is like stepping into a sauna.)

That's exactly where we are at this point.  I worked up a serious sweat just walking to work this morning.  And I had shade for much of the way, and no hills to climb.  It's just a normal July for us.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

kaysixteen

3000 miles ain't long enough to dissipate the western wildfire smoke that has clouded up Fenway Park.   Sox still came back for the win, however.

paultuttle

Thunderstormy, plus an upcoming stretch of three days with heat indexes over 100 degrees.

Langue_doc

Lingering smog from the wildfires on the other side of the continent.

mamselle

I realized the golden glow I was seeing through the trees was the sun coming up through the dispersed smog of forest fires from far away.

It was still a beautiful morning; it's gotten warmer (80s) but not oppressive.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mamselle

A few hours later:

Sea-glass-green air; the
Ratt'ling of hailstones: yes, I
do love a good storm.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ab_grp

My weather is fine, with the usual afternoon tstorms here and there but sunny otherwise.  However, it has been a very anxiety-inducing afternoon watching from afar as a large and dangerous tornado moved its way right through my mother's area and surrounding areas where my friends and colleagues live.  And another seems to be forming up as well as dangerous tstorms and possible flooding.  Very unusual, and very scary! I hope anyone in that area stays safe.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Hot. Ridiculously, ludicrously hot!

I think the heat index was over 100 deg. F today. It will be around 105 deg. F tomorrow.

Langue_doc

Quote from: ab_grp on July 29, 2021, 04:08:38 PM
My weather is fine, with the usual afternoon tstorms here and there but sunny otherwise.  However, it has been a very anxiety-inducing afternoon watching from afar as a large and dangerous tornado moved its way right through my mother's area and surrounding areas where my friends and colleagues live.  And another seems to be forming up as well as dangerous tstorms and possible flooding.  Very unusual, and very scary! I hope anyone in that area stays safe.

I saw the weather advisories for tornadoes and strong winds. Hope the band of thunderstorms has passed through and everyone is safe.

Harlow2

So many tornadoes last night in an area adjacent to us that the weather service says it will be unable to evaluate them all. Lots of structure damage but humans are all ok. Beautiful this morning.

ab_grp

Aside from a collapsed auto dealership which seemed to result in miraculously few injuries, I am still not sure about which areas were damaged.  Still checking on people I know.  Harlow2, I'm glad your area was not directly affected, but it is very scary.  In my mother's area, people are just not prepared for this, and I am not sure if they have any tornado alert system.  I was worried about the folks on the highway at rush hour where one of the tornadoes was headed, as they may not have even heard about the danger.  Really so glad that most humans seem to have been unharmed.  I know many live in tornado areas and are used to this, but yikes.

apl68

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on July 29, 2021, 07:23:34 PM
Hot. Ridiculously, ludicrously hot!

I think the heat index was over 100 deg. F today. It will be around 105 deg. F tomorrow.

Actual thermometer temperatures are now breaking 100 degrees here.  The heat index has been over 100 for a while now.  We're in the midst of a heat advisory.  I'm drenched just walking to work in the mornings.

Normal July weather.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

apl68

Quote from: ab_grp on July 30, 2021, 09:15:12 AM
Aside from a collapsed auto dealership which seemed to result in miraculously few injuries, I am still not sure about which areas were damaged.  Still checking on people I know.  Harlow2, I'm glad your area was not directly affected, but it is very scary.  In my mother's area, people are just not prepared for this, and I am not sure if they have any tornado alert system.  I was worried about the folks on the highway at rush hour where one of the tornadoes was headed, as they may not have even heard about the danger.  Really so glad that most humans seem to have been unharmed.  I know many live in tornado areas and are used to this, but yikes.

Glad everybody seems to be okay.  Some of these areas aren't used to tornadoes, are they?  I don't recall ever hearing about tornadoes in some of the places mentioned in the news reports.

ab_grp

Thanks, apl68! No, at least my mom's area (where I lived for most of my life) is not used to tornadoes at all, let alone multiple ones at the same time and one as large as the one that hit first yesterday.  Of course, we weren't used to hurricanes for a long while, either.  I know there are tornadoes and hurricanes elsewhere that are a lot more damaging, but definitely not a change for the good out there.  Kind of crazy.